Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions on fees for RoR Developer

Hello all Ruby programmers!

I'm a php & flash developer by trade. I recently completed a small project for a client and they were so happy they presented me with another project , to add a little functionality to their current system. I said I'd be happy to take a look at it....

Anyways, long story short their site is built in Ruby on Rails, of which I now nothing about. I'm watching a tutorial right now but I'm not thinking it will be worth me learning and entire language for a small side project such as this. I'm all about moving and growing with technology, but I'm swamped with work from my own disciplines at the moment and just don't think it would be profitable for me to jump feet first in Ruby at the moment.

So I'm thinking about farming this out, which leads me to my problem....

I have no idea what a good fee would be to pay someone for this RoR project.....? The scope of the project is not very large, it's just adding 1 page(or view) to view data that's already in the database. This data will need to be sortable, and viewable based on user access level. I'm working up full project specs right now. I would give project specs and a psd mockup but all existing stylesheets and graphics already exist.

I just know that if this were in php it would take me a total of a day (maybe two) to complete and test this project. I can't imagine it taking any longer in RoR. Actually by judging from this tut, RoR should develop faster.

So, any comments or suggestions you guys may have that would point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

What would be a good fee? It depends. Same as for PHP developers, you can find Ruby developers charging from as little as $10 per hour and as much as $100 per hour. It all depends what type of developer you find.

What might help you a bit more is knowing that based on your description you are looking a job that can be done in few hours (if it's really that simple).
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
    - Sun Tzu
    Icebergist - a web dev blog | Orange Iceberg Web App Development

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback, thebasti...

I guess you bring up my 'main' problem, I have no idea how long this project should take someone.... how many hours is fair? If I post a project overview do you think some of you guys could help guide me toward a 'reasonable' time frame?

I don't mind paying for a good programmer, I expect to do that, I just don't want to be taken.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to judge without the additional information... Making data sortable will take 10-20 minutes if you've done that thing before (there are built-in helpers for this in Rails). I assume that the infrastructure for user access levels is already in place (for example, the model class has methods for determining if a particular user is allowed to perform an action/view an item).

Creating a view in Rails is very similar to how you'd do it in PHP, so I think it would take less time to do this yourself than to find someone else. Here's a screencast on how to create sortable lists: http://railscasts.com/episodes/147-sortable-lists, which you might think to be the hard part (it isn't).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the user access infrastructure is already in place and functioning.

You must abide by the 'ol term... 'if you want something done.....' Anyways, yes I have considered attempting this by myself, but I'm too busy as it is (not complaining) and would really just like to farm this out.

But you may be right, the best thing may be for me to tackle this myself and go ahead and jump in feet first.

Either way, I'll have final project specs by tomorrow (hopefully) our bid has been approved. I'll post the specs here to get ya'lls opinion of a price.

Thanks, for the input guys and gals!