User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temp/job agency flaked out on me

Five months ago, I looked online for a job agency specializing in creative and technical jobs in new media industry. I applied to the agency as a job candidate so that they can give me leads to possible jobs. So I submitted my resume, work experience, small portfolio, etc. then decided to give them a call to ask a few questions about how timely their responses usually are about interviewing candidates.

I don't seem them being very responsive at all. A month after submitting my information, I called to ask if they had any possible leads for me. Incredibly, they responded by saying that they don't have any records of my information. This despite being able to log in and view my personal information which should be already be accessible to the people that work there. The secretary told me that she will comb over the resumes again to check.

Two months ago I finally got a confirmation of a possible interview. It was sent by email from one of the hiring managers telling me to call her on her phone asap. Unfortunately, I had lost my phone the last week and waiting to get it replaced, which is what I told the manager on my reply. Later that week I got another phone and called her back. I've only gotten her answering machine all the times I tried calling during one week. I decided to give up on them after that.

Their reps seem unprofessional to not get back to you, especially if they were the ones that initiated contact with you. I can understand this for an actual company where I'll work, but for a job agency it doesn't look like a nice way to reel in clients. They sometimes get back to me right away, or call with very excited tones, ask for samples, then I never hear from them again.

This is not the only job agency in town that focuses on this industry. I may attempt to contact others but I'm not sure yet. How has your experience fared with them, and is it usually hit-or-miss with communication with such agencies?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like with all entities some agencies get it and some don't. In this market it's difficult for an temp agency to provide the service they may want to as their end clients (companies) are often the ones changing things around and leaving them in the dust but communication should always be steady and reliable, even if projects are not. Of course this economy also has more people looking which gives agencies and companies more power than they had just a year or two ago.

I've often found that with the flakier agencies they get jobs that have a few companies competing and as soon as the role goes away so do they -- even if they left you hanging. Good agencies (they do exist) are of course more open, more available and more valuable... when you find one keep them close. Of course you'll always have to be fairly proactive with an agency unless you're just so in demand that they can't get you working enough.

I'd never suggest binding yourself to just one firm unless you're getting solid work now and for the future already. When you haven't had any bites you need to keep prospecting be it for full time work, temp work, etc... until you find a match that provides something you can stick with and that means they also provide enough to you... it's a two way relationship regardless of the market.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I be suspicious if the agency doesn't mention a company name for the job I'm applying for? To me that sounds like they mostly collect a bunch of resumes first and then contact the business later, without putting much regard to my resume. For example, I once got a lot of job alerts in my email inbox for jobs I wasn't qualified for or interested in.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many companies are restricted from explaining client names so while there could be more going on as you alluded to it's often just their policy. You should of course find out the client name after they move to the second step but in the initial phase it's actually fairly common.
    - Ted S

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the point of hearing nothing back: I deal with this topic all of the time and you'll find some articles on our website.

Only a few recruitment consultants offer the desired levels of customer service that you seek. Most are focused on how much money they have to make, and as their fees are paid by the client (company recruiting), few have time to build relations with the candidates themselves. They will contact you on a need to basis only.

However, you could also find that your resume / cv is letting you down? It's important that your resume / CV sells you, as these guys can receive upwards of 100 applications per job so its vital you get noticed.

Invest time in this document and make sure you have someone review your profile with a critical eye.

In relation to not mentioning the business name:

This is a very tricky and often sticky subject. There is soooo much miss-trust within the recruitment market, recruiters are often concerned that you may use this information to apply direct or feed other recruiters.

However without this information - how are you meant to keep track of where your resume goes.

The only answer for this is, it's down to the individual i.e you. Without knowing, you run the risk of your resume / cv being sent by 2 agencies to the same business or to a client. You need to advice the recruiter if you feel this could be the case.
    Last edited by r937; May 17, 2009 at 05:41. Reason: adjustment to previous questions raised