User Tag List

Thread: rss feed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rss feed

Hi, I've read some of the posts on this page but I'm none the wiser. I want to try and set up an rss feed on a website with a link that people can click to subscribe. I downloaded rss builder but there weren't instructions on what to do when you create a feed. Could someone give me a few pointers? Thanks a lot.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Making an RSS feed is like making an HTML document, you really should learn how to make one by hand rather than relying on a WYSIWYAG editor and expecting it to do all the work for you. The following two websites should help you understand how to integrate your RSS syndicated document into your websites.

http://www.mnot.net/rss/tutorial/

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alex, thanks for that. There were good examples about types of feeds but not how people subscribe to them which was what I was really after.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    welshsj, In the first link I provided it showed you how to embed the RSS feed in your website, under the section of “Telling People About Your Feed”, this showed you to put an RSS link inside your header so people can click on. In terms of how people subscribe to feeds they either use a dedicated RSS reader or one built into the browser, and how they subscribe to those feeds is by either clicking on the URL to the feed you embedded and selecting subscribe (to which it appears in a dedicated section along with bookmarks for feeds) or in a separate client they will select the URL they wish to subscribe too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. I stand corrected.