User Tag List

Thread: Website Reports

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Reports

I have been asked to produce a website report on a current website, does anyone have a template that they use for such things so I know what to put in and what doesn't need to be in?

I have been told to look for usability, potential recommendations, new design ideas etc

Cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go read the book "Don't Make Me Think" -- everything you need to report on is in there. This is one of the best books on the market for usability and includes before/after screenshots of websites that needed upgrading.

For new design ideas, there's a fantastic book called:
    The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends & Styles In Website Design

I think both of these books would be a great help. There are also a number of award sites that can give you new design ideas: try webaward dot org and webbyawards dot com; also try csszengarden.

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garrinh View Post
    Go read the book "Don't Make Me Think" -- everything you need to report on is in there.
    Absolutely right! The book is a classic and belongs in every public library. If it isn't in yours you should lobby them to get it.
    Ed Seedhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to go off topic, buy you probably need marketing reports on backlinks, traffic, and competition as well. The free WebCEO reports are actually pretty good, IMHO.
    I believe in free speech, free markets, and free software.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While the book don’t Make Me Think! Is an excellent read (I have it amongst my library of books) I must put forward a SitePoint book no-one here has mentioned which does exactly what you want to do. “Deliver First Class Web Sites - 101 Essential Checklists” is a book which gives you a huge list of checkpoints you can go through to work out if you have covered all the general bases, for what you need it should do just fine.