User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question help with co-worker

Hi everybody!

The situation is, a non-experienced co-worker is breaking into the web development field purely by being employed by a web development company. They dont know front-end coding and can hack together back-end code. They have little understanding of key concepts of web development. It is so frustrating talking to this person. I try to give them as much information as I can but they just dont have the experience nescessary to work as a web developer at this stage.

What should I do? I'm old and tired of dealing with lesser skilled web developers, it is so tiring. I just want to work with knowledgable professionals. When you work so hard to maintain your skill then people just sloth their way through

Has anyone been in a similiar situation? what did you do?

I'm desperate, I am willing to quit over this, no point being frustrated it just makes me treat other people with less respect and I dont want that - I try to be a nice guy!

Thank you kindly for your constructive replies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are constantly asking questions, try a few "I don't know" responses, or "I'm really busy right now, I'll explain it later".

Or ask the bosses for a raise for "training pay". Explain that it is impacting your ability to do your job.

As long as you didn't hire on as an instructor.

And then there's always monster.com.
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply.

It's not so much they are asking questions. They just assume and don't thoroughly investigate issues. I am perfectly fine with answering questions as long as people do what they can to identify the issue first.

I have been in a training type role before and I didn't like it that much. It really depended on the person.

Should I speak with my boss / manager people about this?, I do see it as a critical business issue which could affect the company in a bad way. Simple fact is you need people that know how to do the job they are supposed to be doing.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb007hj
    Should I speak with my boss / manager people about this?, I do see it as a critical business issue which could affect the company in a bad way.
    I think you've answered your question there. Indeed, you should.
    Saul

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not quit a good job in this economy, except as a last resort.

If you're not a trainer, then it's not your responsibility to keep an unqualified co-worker from floundering. Many of the posters on this board taught themselves Web design by reading books or online tutorials and documentation. Many experienced developers still do research constantly throughout a project. It's only fair that your co-worker educate him/herself the same way. Send that person here or to webmonkey.com, w3schools.com, etc. Or simply reply to their questions with "Google is your friend."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its good to help and share your knowledge, but not too much..tell them to learn on their own and don't quit your job...all I can say is good luck!

WEB-Innovators-Professional and Quality Web Services

MSN:webinnosales@web-innovators.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you actually working on projects with this person or just having to constantly help out on his/her own projects which he/she is not equipped to handle?

If it is your project you could probably set some standards--the pieces of the project passed to you must be (whatever it is you need).

In either case you might want to go to the person & the managers and point out that this person has inadequate training for the tasks he/she is expected to accomplish. Have ready some recommendations for further training: texts, online classes, local classes, websites, etc.

If they want to use this person in the position they should spring for some time and training.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you actually working on projects with this person or just having to constantly help out on his/her own projects which he/she is not equipped to handle?
    At the moment I am just helping them with their own projects that they aren't equipped to handle. They definitely bumble their way through the tasks, trial and error - this is fine on your own time but not the companies IMO. There will be projects in the near future that we will be working on together. Which doesn't thrill me at all. I don't feel like having to explain everything and why to do things this way versus that way about common web-dev concerns.

They have started to learn in their own time, which is good but the problem still shines through, they dont have enough solid knowledge. Every time I start to begin to think they might be starting to get it they say something that... you know... makes you think "oh god"

I don't want to step on any toes and I definitely don't want to insult someone or have them fired. But I know something has to be done before something bad happens to our systems. I don't want to appear up-myself thinking I know better. I have a feeling another developer shares the same concerns. A previous manager did I know but they left.

Haha, I guess I am being a bit of a girly-man. I know what I should do but it's all about how I go about doing it. All of the key people to resolve this issue have flared tempers so it's a tricky one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't quit the job just like that. You may as well try speaking to your immediate boss and update him/her about the prevailing situation. Listen to what they have to say. You can even think of asking your young developers to interact with your other colleagues, refer to online guides or books and so on.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am curious why your bosses would employ someone who is clearly lacking in the basic skills to be able to perform their job to a good standard. I would take it up with management and explain to them that their employee badly needs some training to bring their skills up to date as it is impacting your ability to work (as you are clearly having to go out of your way to help them).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious why your bosses would employ someone who is clearly lacking in the basic skills to be able to perform their job to a good standard.
    They're in the middle of moving from one job role to another with-in the same company.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this person is coming to you for help and you will be eventually working on projects with him/her, it would probably be to your benefit to work out a self-study schedule to give him/her. A list of books and website tutorials that you recommend.

You might also want to start to work on a project standards/style guide to have in hand for when you do start to work on the same projects.

I am curious why your bosses would employ someone who is clearly lacking in the basic skills to be able to perform their job to a good standard.
    They're in the middle of moving from one job role to another with-in the same company.
    I would think it would be to the company's benefit to arrange some training, if only an online course or two.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin Sue View Post
    I would think it would be to the company's benefit to arrange some training, if only an online course or two.
    I agree. It would cost less to have one temporarily unproductive worker instead of two.