SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Yank's Sitepoint, PHP & MySQL Book - Up to Date?

I recently purchased Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL, by Kevin Yank.

This book was last updated in June 2006. I will be investing a lot of time in learning PHP and I'm a little concerned that PHP and / or MySQL may have developed in the (almost) three year's since the book was updated. I'd prefer purchase a newer book than spend time learning outdated code.

Is Kevin Yank's book still up to date or should I purchase a more recently published one?

Thanks!
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum
    < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The language hasn't changed significantly, nor have the basic ideas it teaches you about building a dynamic website. It's still a good beginner's tutorial, but in the interest of being readable for a newbie, doesn't always use best practices in terms of security or portability.

I don't think you need to ditch the book, it's still relevant, and doesn't take that long to get through. Once you've built your first dynamic website following its example, you'll be prepared to read and understand more recent and more advanced tutorials.

I would suggest, though, skipping the section on how to install apache & mysql, and just download XAMPP instead. It'll do all the installation for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan, for your very helpful feedback. I've installed Xampp and it appears to be running fine and opening my localhost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    ...but in the interest of being readable for a newbie, doesn't always use best practices in terms of security or portability...
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that I fully understand what you mean by that?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was an html designer, and knew nothing about developing dynamic sites, now thanks to Kevin Yank's book I understand more than basics,so it is an excellent book for beginners.

I aslo got Simply SQL by Rudy Limeback which I think is as excellent source for SQL if youare interested, and everything is much easier now for me when customizing scripts. I got the pdf version for both books.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback Internetdominus I'll start working my way through the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Kevin's book since forever, and it's still a very good beginners book. However, for a more detailed and professional level reference, check Larry Ullman's PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites. I have the second edition from 2005 when PHP 5 was new, and there's a lot of examples of secure logins and content management beyond Kevins.
    I believe in free speech, free markets, and free software.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation Art, I may have a look at that when I've gained an understanding of the more basic stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome. BTW Larry's book is ~700 pages vs ~ 200 for Kevin's to cover much of the same material for different audiences. So it does take some commitment to work through it.
    I believe in free speech, free markets, and free software.