SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advantage to having a WordPress website?

What's the advantage to having a WordPress website?
    Do you host it there? What's the difference between a Wordpress web site any other kind?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisjChrisj View Post
    What's the advantage to having a WordPress website?
    Do you host it there? What's the difference between a Wordpress web site any other kind?

Thanks
    I'm confused.

Do you mean a site hosted on WordPress.com, or a version of WordPress (ie: see www.wordpress.org) that you install on your webhost?

I'm guessing you mean WP.com, right? In which case it's a free hosted blogging platform. You can't have your own ads. Customization is limited without paying the pro fee. But it's dead easy to get up and running.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress sites are easy to customize and there are a lot of available of templates and plug-ins for SEO purposes or other purposes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The software is very easy to be installed and configured as well. This is one of the most commonly used blogging/forum software.
    ------------
    hzSari | HostingZoom.com
    ModVPS.com | ResellerZoom.com
    Power Speed Reliability

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy to install, easy to expand, easy to create content. Probably the best blogging software out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I host my wordpress on my own webspace not on wordpress(.)com. The advantage for me is the easy use and the possibility to expand/enhance my wordpress with one of the many plugins if needed. There is almost for everything a plugin available to customize your wordpress as much as possible. Also you can make your own layout/design or you can choose from a wide choice of designs other people offer.

the wordpress installations on wordpress(.)com are fixed installations and you can't install everything as you want it. There are limitations of what you can do.

Visit us at J32Teez or Business-Cards.uni.cc
    Follow me on Twitter @J32Teez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the web hosting terms I believe that do not have big differences, I guess that your question probably connected to the SEO part. What do you doubt about?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChrisjChrisj,

There are advantages to having Wordpress and disadvantages of having Wordpress. Yes, the advantages of Wordpress is that it's easy to customize without paying any fees and installation isn't much of a hassle.

However, the disadvantages of Wordpress is that it uses MYSQL hosting. With the recent Sun acquisition of MYSQL and because there are no ODBC drivers for MYSQL on Windows 2008, the future of MYSQL is not clear, which is another reason several hosting companies do not support it.

I would suggest using Dot NET blog software - like dotnetblogengine, graffiti cms, sitefinity, or kentico

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug - DASP View Post
    the future of MYSQL is not clear, which is another reason several hosting companies do not support it.
    I would suggest using Dot NET blog software
    MySql is the most commonly used web application database there is, and as it is most often used in conjunction with linux operating systems, and is open source, it's future is entirely safe. If it wasn't then Yahoo, Google, Flickr, YouTube, Wikipedia, craigs list, digg, facebook etc wouldn't use it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that and there ARE ODBC connectors for mysql for windows. Besides, nowhere did the OP say anything about Windows being a requirement...
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress gets listed on Google fast it submits your RSS feed well, Ive had WP Sites go up much faster than any other type of site not sure why.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One disadvantage - having to watch for security updates. Luckily, wordpress hasn't had any big flaws lately, but if one pops out there's a lot of sites that are going to be vandalized. :\

I mostly use blogger myself just because I'd rather not handle all the updating & backuping a wordpress site might require.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unique features of Wordpress made them unparalleled in blogging software. They are:
    -Auto ping ur every post to several ping sites
    -Trackback to increase ur site traffic & boost link building
    -Submit to social bookmarking sites
    -Customize layout accordingly

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its better for seo, easy to update, and easy to customize. You cant go wrong with wordpress

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valterchaves View Post
    Its better for seo, easy to update, and easy to customize. You cant go wrong with wordpress
    I love using wordpress. It makes consistent content easy, easily available to submit to social marketing sites, tons of templates available, tons of plugins and extra widgets available as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress has been designed with search engine optimization in mind. The WordPress codex says, “WordPress, straight out of the box, comes ready to embrace search engines. Its features and functions guide a search engine through the posts, pages, and categories to help the search engine crawl your site and gather the information it needs to include your site within its database.” There are also a number of great plug-ins that further enhance the SEO capabilities of WordPress.