Thread: Web Software

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Software

Hey guys,

I'm looking to write some new software, possibly forum software, however there are alot of other forum software apps out there that are available for free, or at least are very good...

So I ask, What would make a forum software innovative to where people would like to use it? Usability? Features? Look?

Or, if you agree with me that forum software is overdone for web developers, What other software out there is lacking, or what isn't there much support for that I could put some time into making software for to give/sell to webmasters?

Open to all suggestions/ideas

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RCD24 View Post
    Or, if you agree with me that forum software is overdone for web developers, What other software out there is lacking, or what isn't there much support for that I could put some time into making software for to give/sell to webmasters?
    Coming up with a product that people actually want is the hard part.

Start browsing as many forums as you can, and look for the forum where people typically ask for help finding a script to solve some problem. Find the ones where nobody answers or the suggestions are all poor quality. Then you can develop the script someone wanted but couldn't find, and sell it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found as a developer it is often better to add-on to existing products rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Not only can you really add some beneficial functionality, but you'll know another product well enough to add to a resume.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear RCD24,

Why would anyone on this board tell you the answer of
    What other software out there is lacking, or what isn't there much support for that I could put some time into making software for to give/sell to webmasters?
    just think about that for a second

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RCD24 View Post
    I'm looking to write some new software, possibly forum software ... if you agree with me that forum software is overdone for web developers ...
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha alright guys... easy. I get the point. I'll go back to the drawing board like everyone else.
    http://webdevsforum.com/ - New Web Developers Forum
    http://classifiedphpscript.com/ - PHP Classifieds $10