SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My co-worker got laid off and need some help

If she was in programming field, I can help her out but she's in Electrical Engineering who specializes in "Automation Technology". I feel extra guilty because she's the one who found 2nd job for me.

So, I'm desperately looking for advice on landing a job for electrical engineer related jobs. From what I know, the skills that she learned from this company is not used in any other company. Even if they are, her skills are quickly being absorbed by India (thus... why she got laid off). Do you guys have any recommended Electrical Engineering skills that can land her a job quickly and w/ good pay? Any advice would be very appreciative.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Automation is unfortunately an area which is always the first to be hit when a recession occurs. My best advice (though possibly not helpful) would be to research what areas of electrical engineering are thriving at the moment (if any), perhaps something in computer part manufacturing (cars use computer chips and motherboards and processors - I am just winging it here but maybe it could work) and then do some training to convert across to the other area. Honestly I would not want to be in engineering at this time in the financial crisis because things just keep getting worse currently, perhaps it may be worth retraining or doing some other work until the car industry picks up again when the recession is over (as they inevitably do come to an end) just to fill the gaps before things get back to normal.

Hopefully something I have said is useful to your friend

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice! I was thinking same as you. Still, I couldn't find any electrical engineer expert to know which technlogy is most demanding... if you guys know, please post!!!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well hardware production itself is mainly done alike automation in places like Asia, however one area which is always in high demand is hardware based networking such as CISCO CCNA qualifications, though I am unsure exactly how relevant this may be to you.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here... no idea exactly what electrical engineer does. I'm gonna try to google up people's regime who has electrical engineer.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, it's nice of you to try and help but there isn't much that you can do for her.

If she doesn't know her own field better than you do then she has no chance of finding more work anytime soon anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't have to be guilty, if you tried already your best to help her... its for her to help herself to find job suitable for her knowledge and skills. Anyway as they say she knows herself better than you do...

WEB-Innovators-Professional and Quality Web Services

MSN:webinnosales@web-innovators.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try maybe devolping technology for the gov, or a security contractor. They use a lot of automation now, I do believe.