SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping a window on top

I am opening a "customized" pop-up window from a link using onClick="window.open('blah','blah','blah');return false" . Can anyone tell me what I add to the parameter list to keep the pop-up window always on top? Thanks.
    Ted

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a function instead.

onclick=openWin()

function openWin()
    {
    var newWin=window.open('blah','blah','blah');
    newWin.focus();
    }

That also promotes reusability as you can create a function that will work anywhere simply by adding a url as a passable variable.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully it is impossible to force a javascript window to always stay on top (can you imagine what pop up ads would be like if they could do that!?)

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True enough. I do hate popups. But sometimes giving focus to a popup is useful (I sometimes use popups for quick and dirty forms).

Perma ontop. I am sure there is a script you 'could' make to do this. It would be a truly evil experience.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actualy you can keep it on top by placing this in the body tag of the popup:
    <BODY onBlur="this.focus()">

There are valid reasons for keeping a popup on top such as being used for navigation purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by requestcode
    Actualy you can keep it on top by placing this in the body tag of the popup:
    <BODY onBlur="this.focus()">

There are valid reasons for keeping a popup on top such as being used for navigation purposes.
    That doesn't work in Mozilla or IE6 (IE6 keeps flashing the window in my taskbar but doesn't switch back to it). I honestly can't see any reason for using this other than to drive visitors away from your site - I know any site that tries to take over my desktop like that goes straight on my "never visit again" list.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me clarify. The pop-up to which I referred is actually a small window containing a chat applet that is launched specifically by the visitor, and they can close it any time they wish. Personally, I would never do that to a pop-up ad, or even use pop-ups... they are the scurge of the Internet

Maelstrom, would I just place the ofunction part after the first with no puncuation?... I am a little unclear as to the syntax. Like onclick=openWin()function openWin(){var newWin=window.open('blah','blah','blah'); newWin.focus();} ?

Thanks requestcode, I'll give your suggestion a try too to test the results of each.

Skunk, when the task is flashing on your task bar, does it do anything else? It still just functions like any other window? Is it annoying?

Thanks all
    Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ted
    Skunk, when the task is flashing on your task bar, does it do anything else? It still just functions like any other window? Is it annoying?
    It's a tiny bit annoying but nothing to get upset about. My point was more that the technique doesn't work (it doesn't keep the window on top of everything else) so there's probably no point in using it.