SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Dark Colors + Content Sites

I have been thinking for some time that my web site could be hurt by the fact that it is on very dark grey background colors. It is a content site/blog. The more and more I look I struggle to find content web sites that have dark colored backgrounds behind the text.

I am thinking I need to go to a white background, at least for the main container holding the stories. The issue is, I don't want my site to lose its identity. My logo looks good on a dark grey or black background. Therefore, I'm going to need to have at the very least, a dark header/footer.

In my designing I am really struggling with the dark/light transition. I understand that I will need to use the nav bar, and possibly the page background to make this transition smoother, as I think dark grey background with white over it is simply too high contrast.

Anyone with any input or examples of sites that make this transition effectly would be a great help!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly, your website would look perfectly find on a light background, you however do not need to keep dark headers and footers, what I would recommend is that you turn the yellows and oranges into a nice icy blue color – changing the color of your logo will not affect your websites identity in the slightest! But in all honesty, websites using dark colors are rarely going to hurt your visitor rankings.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, a blue logo is not an option. The orange colors are relevant to a few of the teams here in the valley, and the overall color scheme of the desert. I cannot lose the orange. I still want the drk grey/lt grey/orange color scheme, but I need a nice way to transition to a white content container.

For example, psdtuts.com does a nice job of this. I am only going to have one level of nav however, so I still need other examples to help break up the white/black contrast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using orange in white designs can be done as long as the shade of orange is used in contrast, for example take note of the below websites use of orange.

http://www.thinkorange.pt/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark colors are fine on content sites. I do most of my sites in dark colors, and from the few split tests I've done, the ad click ratios and and page view numbers aren't much different. Look at the the alexa top 100, most of the sites have light background, mostly just the adult sites have dark backgrounds.

I've heard product sites sell more products with light backgrounds than with dark. Psychologically, dark is danger, light is feel good. But for a sports site, dark could be appealing to the user. I like your sites skin.
    Game Website Builder - Start Your Own Money Making Game Website
    Blogging For Money - Learn Profit Blogging
    Web Traffic Academy - Learn How To Get More Web Traffic

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though common wisdom says sites with heavy textual content should be dark text on light backgrounds, I see nothing wrong with your site's design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Using orange in white designs can be done as long as the shade of orange is used in contrast, for example take note of the below websites use of orange.

http://www.thinkorange.pt/
    Really wished I had come up with their concept first.

I am seriously jealous!

But then I always thought the Portuguese happened to be one of the best web designers in the world.

I don't know why, but they just are.

I need a course in graphic design, my "sense of aesthetics" needs serious improving.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daringfireball is one site that I find very easy on the eyes, but the contrast may not be for everyone.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hgilbert View Post
    But then I always thought the Portuguese happened to be one of the best web designers in the world.

I don't know why, but they just are.
    Interesting comment, I donít know of any other Portuguese web design firms which have been acclaimed for their designs apart from this one for their own personal homepage however I am much more aware of ones from America, Australia, Canada and the UK. But I guess that is to be expected.