SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast RachWilson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Would you like the SitePoint team to interact with you more?

By that I mean, would you like us to have a team blog kind of thing, photos of our antics, profiles of each staff member with some personal hobbies and interests on it etc. Would that help us to build more of a relationship with our valued SitePoint members or is it not something that interests people?

Talk to me people How can we build a better SitePoint for you?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always curious about how many people it takes to run this complex site, how they're divided up, etc. I'd be interested in the people behind SitePoint.

But I'm probably not representative of the average forum member... I've been using this site since before it existed... webmaster-resources.com anyone?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think SitePoint already does well enough in terms of its blogging and profile information however perhaps if the SitePoint staff were more active in the forums as this is one of the main interactivity hubs of this community it might be nice to just see you guys even if it is just as part of conversations in the general chat region!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the idea is great. You have the development blog already but that's a bit dry of the anecdotal stuff

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RachWilson
    By that I mean, would you like us to have a team blog kind of thing, photos of our antics, profiles of each staff member with some personal hobbies and interests on it etc.
    No, I really don't give a crap what you people are up to as long as you guys keep the fora running smoothly and spam-free.

I didn't join Sitepoint in the first place because of how friendly and interactive the staff was. I joined because the fora were really good.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, people... the plural of "forum" is "fora".

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RachWilson View Post
    How can we build a better SitePoint for you?
    re-address the issue of follow/nofollow on sig links

speaking only for myself, if they were set back to nofollow, it would save me at least a couple hours per day

hunting down and killing fluff posts takes a ~lot~ of work

we wouldn't have nearly the dilution of signal/noise if all those people who are here ~only~ for the sig links had no reason to stick around
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think that interaction is necessary. People come here to pick up some knowledge or help out with giving their knowledge. A little socializing, reading the blogs, getting some info about the books, and that is it.

Knowing what you guys do on the weekend is not going to make this place any better
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    r937, maybe there should be a feature that if a user has more than 500 posts (showing their regular contributors and not spammers) when we report an offending post, it could temporarily be hidden (like a soft delete). If you don't like the 500 post idea you could always have something like a "trusted user" team which are made up of regulars who you know wont abuse the abuse button. Then there would not be as much pressure on yourselves to keep having to immediately deal with the junk that comes with the forum as you can delete or restore the post as required without worrying visitors will see the offending content. I know I would be happy to help lessen the load of spammers round this place because I enjoy helping others alike many of the heavy contributers.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    you could always have something like a "trusted user" team which are made up of regulars who you know wont abuse the abuse button
    That's what we call a Mentor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    That's what we call a Mentor
    Dan, I was not aware the Mentor's were moderators so thanks for clarification, I was just throwing the idea around in case it had not been discussed yet

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why on earth would I want to know what the SitePoint team look like and what they do on weekends? Oh sorry, we all have to be touchy feely now don't we.

Off topic: I somehow managed to double post this with one finishing up on another thread. God knows how

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Am Newbies In This Forum So I Have No Right To Suggest Anything For This Forum Mentors....
    but if i want to improve my knowledge so i have to give some suggestions....
    If It Is Possible, In Free Time OR Weekends They Checked All Signature....
    And If Anyone Give Abused Comments So Delete That Comments OR Ban That ID....
    And Check Who Is The Regular And Genuine Member And Who Is The Spammer....

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    re-address the issue of follow/nofollow on sig links

speaking only for myself, if they were set back to nofollow, it would save me at least a couple hours per day

hunting down and killing fluff posts takes a ~lot~ of work

we wouldn't have nearly the dilution of signal/noise if all those people who are here ~only~ for the sig links had no reason to stick around
    You'd have just as much in the way of spam posting, those people who are dumb enough to spam forums for links aren't going to be smart enough to figure out that their links are no-followed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lemoncrusher View Post
    Why on earth would I want to know what the SitePoint team look like and what they do on weekends? Oh sorry, we all have to be touchy feely now don't we.

Off topic: I somehow managed to double post this with one finishing up on another thread. God knows how
    We don't have to be, I was just curious if it would add to the community feel and if it's not wanted, then I don't need to do anything which is fine too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rach, well like I said earlier, it would be nice to see the staff post a bit more often in the forum's as I am sure your expertees would also contribute greately to the wealth of questions which are put forward

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know more about the Staff. THeir antics and such. I did not know the mentors had moderator abilities..interesting. I don't give a crap what time the sitepoint staff takes a sh1t but just personally knowing them would be good.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RyanReese, eloquently quoted as always, was the pun intended?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rach, well like I said earlier, it would be nice to see the staff post a bit more often in the forum's as I am sure your expertees would also contribute greately to the wealth of questions which are put forward
    I'm starting to find my forum feet now lol! I tend to stick to the social networking (Twitter specifically lol), content and more business kind of stuff - I'm probably one of the least techy types here (very much a people person - hence the question).

I'll be around more often, promise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    I'd like to know more about the Staff. THeir antics and such. I did not know the mentors had moderator abilities..interesting. I don't give a crap what time the sitepoint staff takes a sh1t but just personally knowing them would be good.
    I promise not to share EVERY details

I was thinking that a team area would be good, where it's more of a peek behind the SitePoint walls, people can check it out if they want to, they don't have to... I know I like that kind of stuff. I think it speaks volumes about the company if the people in it love what they do and enjoy each others company That could just be me though...

Thanks for the feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RachWilson View Post
    I'm probably one of the least techy types here (very much a people person - hence the question).

I'll be around more often, promise
    Rach, You don't need to worry about not having a clue about what we are talking about, half of us don't on a regular basis anyway!

Perhaps if you feel we should get to know the staff better you could setup a section of the forum where we could sort of "interview" each other (like the member of the month thread) except we can all ask questions and at the end, the person involved can answer all the ones they feel are suitable. Might be a fun activity that the staff and regular's could be involved in, and perhaps one day we will get to find out all of Ryan's bad habits

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    a live cam at the SP hq?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    a live cam at the SP hq?
    Now that could be dangerous - what if I'm having a bad hair day? LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rach, You don't need to worry about not having a clue about what we are talking about, half of us don't on a regular basis anyway!

Perhaps if you feel we should get to know the staff better you could setup a section of the forum where we could sort of "interview" each other (like the member of the month thread) except we can all ask questions and at the end, the person involved can answer all the ones they feel are suitable. Might be a fun activity that the staff and regular's could be involved in, and perhaps one day we will get to find out all of Ryan's bad habits
    Oh good! I feel better now :P

That sounds pretty cool, I could get into that! Will see what the team think at the next meeting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    a live cam at the SP hq?
    The problem with this would be we would be able to see what is going on at the staff's computer screens while they work and you just know someone would be trying to help them win that game of solitaire!