SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNS and Web Server?

I'm currently looking for a better host (Virtual Private Server) to get away from shared hosting.

Shared hosting is not responsive enough anymore. My traffic is not huge at the moment, 25,000 visits/mo 75,000 pages/mo 2gig/mo transfer but we are hoping to greatly expand over the next few months. My current server is sometimes unavailable and sometimes way too slow to load. Sometimes it is fine, but I need something more reliable. I believe VPS will satisfy this need.

My biggest question is what to do with my domain name? What are people using to host domain names? I've used godaddy before in the past, is that alright or should I host the domain along with my web server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godaddy should be fine, no need to change

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I completely understand what you are asking. If your question is whether you should transfer your domain registration to a different host, I would suggest keeping your host and registrar seperate. This way if something happens with your host, they can not play games with your domain name.
    Stair Lifts & Residential Dumbwaiters, source of health news

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm wondering if there are differences in performance and speed depending on who is your domain name server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tslice View Post
    I guess I'm wondering if there are differences in performance and speed depending on who is your domain name server.
    Nope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know there are a lot web hosting comanies around and most have shared web hosting account. As someone said you are not aware what you are ding or what are you foing to do
    In this case I believe that you nned to have ubnderstanding that you do not need to move to the VPS. Maybe you need just upgrade to th higher shared account
    I believe that would be good idea to have some consultations with your current web hosting provider
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tslice View Post
    My biggest question is what to do with my domain name? What are people using to host domain names? I've used godaddy before in the past, is that alright or should I host the domain along with my web server?
    If you move to a VPS, you can run your own DNS server and provide the nameservers for your domain. It doesn't matter what server hosts the DNS records, but having full control is always nice

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If you move to a VPS, you can run your own DNS server and provide the nameservers for your domain. It doesn't matter what server hosts the DNS records, but having full control is always nice
    Not always a fantastic idea though - if your VPS is down then there's no DNS then most mail will bounce as there will be no DNS response. If your DNS is separate and up, but your VPS is down then mail will be held and delivery attempted again later. If you're going to run your own DNS off of a VPS then it's worth having someone else act as a secondary for you as well.

As for a site with 2GB/month of transfer - any reputable shared hosting should be able to handle that without so much as a 2nd thought.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    As for a site with 2GB/month of transfer - any reputable shared hosting should be able to handle that without so much as a 2nd thought.
    You'd think. I've been testing my site with webwait dot com for the past few days, when it's fast it takes 2-3 seconds ( mostly because I'm making js calls to google adsense ). When it's slow it takes between 10-17 seconds, which appears to be about 10% of the time throughout the day and especially during our high traffic times after the lunch hour.

I've been reading reviews on hosts, this will be the third shared host I'll be looking for

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Not wanting to cause offence, but if this is the 3rd time you've had to look for a new host then you maybe need to re-evaluate your selection criteria Frankly, 2GB/month is nothing (even for old old hardware), we've had customers do double that per day every day for months before now.

What exactly is your site? Blog? Forum? eCommerce? etc. and what technologies is it using? Just trying to get an idea of what you're doing and if it may be that rather than your hosting specifically - although from the sounds of things that is playing a major part, but it may be that the way you've got things designed is overly sensative to certain situations and it can be avoided.

Thanks,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence taken, I can certainly use the help. My site is a blog ( wordpress ) and it uses google ad manager/adsense. I've highly modified the blog with 3rd party plugins and my own plugins. I'm hosted with hostmonster, which as I believe is a value host. Don't get me wrong, when the server works, its great, but there are times that it runs really slow and sometimes I check the system alerts and there are scripts running wild causing my site to load slow ( at least I assume it is not my scripts as hm has never contacted me about any rouge scripts ).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have alot off calls via PHP and MySQL along with however many scripts and plugin then the cause may just be your site and not the host. Even the best host can not make a website that requires alot of files to be called and loaded run faster.

I mean if your page was just plain html and it ran slow I would look at the host but when you start talking Wordpress, additional plugins, modules and what not the root cause is a little more complicated to nail down.

Take for example Joomla you will find people all the time looking for better hosts to run their site when most times it isn't the host it is all the additional modules or complicated themes that are selected. The more plugins, modules and complicated themes used the more load and bandwidth is required to display the page.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsiteDesignerX View Post
    If you have alot off calls via PHP and MySQL along with however many scripts and plugin then the cause may just be your site and not the host. Even the best host can not make a website that requires alot of files to be called and loaded run faster.

I mean if your page was just plain html and it ran slow I would look at the host but when you start talking Wordpress, additional plugins, modules and what not the root cause is a little more complicated to nail down.

Take for example Joomla you will find people all the time looking for better hosts to run their site when most times it isn't the host it is all the additional modules or complicated themes that are selected. The more plugins, modules and complicated themes used the more load and bandwidth is required to display the page.
    That's why you should make sure one of those modules you install is a cache

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    That's why you should make sure one of those modules you install is a cache
    I agree with you 100%, I always Cache everything I can but most either don't know how to or don't have it set-up correctly to maximize benefits.

Even with Cache though a lot of times people will see all the bells and whistles with modules and plugins and go hog wild installing them all and at a certain point you will lose the benefit of Cache.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My scripts seem to run relatively fast, and even faster when caching pages. I don't know that much about that stuff, but my script averages .18 - .57 secs to process a page. I just don't see how it could be my script. I've contacted my host during a slow load time and they said it was due to a rogue script on my shared server, but not my script.