SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to set an elastic div height?

Simple question, but I have Googled my little fingers off and can't find an answer.

I need to set up full-width divs, each with an image and some associated text, that look like this:

Should be easy. Set up a containing div with width:100%, height of image size plus a little, some padding, and float the image right.

However, the client has manually resized the text in IE, so that setting the div height breaks the layout:

If I remove the height parameter altogether, it really goobers things up because the image height and text height don't match up. The containing div shrinks to the height of the text and the image floats out in space.

I've tried nesting divs and assiging various heights to things but can't seem to find the magic combination. I am obviously not searching on the correct terms, because I am not finding what I need.

Short of using tables for each image-plus-text, is there anything else I can do to make the containing div stretch to hold all the huge text while not shrinking below the height of the image?

tia -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using min-height as opposed to height on the div

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy: don't set any height at all. Just make sure the div encloses any floated children, e.g., by having an element with clear:both before the </div> or by setting overflow:auto on the div (without an explicit height).

An alternative way is to set a min-height on the div, instead of a height.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that was too easy. Thank you both!