SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux work experience opportunity....advice.... pls

Well guys I am student on Computer Networking, recently I have received an opportunity during the summer holiday to work as a sys admin and working with linux unix etc.... which I find it very wonderful and is the job which I want to do... but the Job is in Uganda.... yes Uganda..... everything it will be paid, accommodation, local expense and so on....... I want to hear peoples opinion..... should I go or not... I am thinking that I should go even though is Uganda don't matter........
    What is your opinion......

Regards Dan,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't give it a second thought. No way would I go there.

I'm not a fan of theirs, but here's what the US State Department has to say about Uganda: "U.S. citizens residing in or planning to visit Uganda should be aware of threats to their safety posed by insurgent groups operating in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and southern Sudan, and the potential of cross border attacks carried out by these armed groups. In addition, U.S. citizens traveling to the area commonly known as Karamoja in northeastern Uganda should also be aware of ongoing conflict and armed banditry in this region."
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i read that, thanks a lot but I live in UK, maybe still will not count, even that your are from Europe or US, in the end is still the same thing, thanks for telling me in the end...

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It applies to more than just UK

I would be VERY cautious. Who do you know that's there? Who offered the opportunity?

There's ALOT of dodgy stuff in those places - people going there believing they are doing ONE thing, and ending up kidnapped and being used for... well I'll let your imagination run wild. I'm not being politically incorrect or saying Uganda is a dangerous place to be avoided - it's just not a very safe place for a person on their own.

If you don't personally know (as in trust with your life) anyone there, don't go. That's serious advice.

Besides, why you? and why uganda?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well is my previous boss, he told me about this offer, I had worked with him on my previous company and 2 weeks ago he came at me with this offer, he thought I had finish my University so he can give me a full time job, but I told him that I will finish the uni in 2010, so in the end he said if I can come during the summer, the company is a english company which he is working. And more I will find out in June when he will be back to London.

Thanks any way for your advice....