Thread: Thoughts?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thoughts?

Anybody read this: http://adage.com/article?article_id=135440

Surely the affect is going to be felt amongst us, now, and later. Radical change seems to be inevitable.

What are your thoughts?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i got as far as the second sentence --
    There is no longer a need to warn of a gathering Chaos Scenario, in which the yin of media and yang of marketing fly apart, symbiotic no more.
    utter crap

next question?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    i got as far as the second sentence --utter crap

next question?

Utterly pointless. Next member?

Okay... that aside.Yes the writing style is dramatic but the message is somethig to, at the least, consider for those involved in either marketing, advertising or is a publisher or has a large site that depends on ad revenue.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, one guy told me once some years ago that interest rates will NEVER be as low as 6% again - ever hahahaha
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    i got as far as the second sentence --

"There is no longer a need to warn of a gathering Chaos Scenario, in which the yin of media and yang of marketing fly apart, symbiotic no more."

utter crap

next question?

I didn't read the whole thing, but the jest of it seems to be a fear of change.

People are going to flock to whatever is most convenient and cheapest... today I can get much of my news from the comfort of my chair for FREE... Why on Earth would I want to buy a newspaper ?

As far as marketing goes, at my age and with my interests, my brain is naturally drawn toward cheap, web-based promotion. The idea of running an ad in a paper is what seems like the foreign concept, especially at those prices.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local newspaper here recently made the entire newspaper significantly smaller, and the ad space is also smaller, and the price for the ads went up. Where I live the majority of the citizens are seniors, and there was a lot of complaints about the new smaller paper being hard to read. So the newspaper answered by giving out magnifying lenses.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read only the intro, which is hardly comprehensible to me and the part about the online publishers. And oh my what a biased crap of trying to make a trend out of few cases. I'd suggest the author try and use AdWords then try to say again that online ad prices are going down. Just because there are thousands of crap sites with no visitors with commercial intent built every day doesn't mean the advertisers will bid on them. And the quality ad space prices are and will go up, especially after the economy is making businesses to turn their eyes at the Internet. After Amazon's best Christmas season ever, they sure do (which unfortunatelly didn't draw the attention of the author, the guy's eyes were obviously looking for something else). Just what this gem is worth alone:

Today the average 14-year-old can create a global television network with applications that are built into her laptop.
    Speechless.
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That article made me laugh, it is probably one of the most flawed articles I have read in a long time.

Today the average 14-year-old can create a global television network with applications that are built into her laptop.
    This is true, with the rise of video podcasting anyone who has the content and the equipment (cheap these days) could put together a network with a group of friends which broadcasts to an audience of thousands. Take Revision3 for example or TWiT Live, they both have a huge viewership and were put together by a small number of individuals with very little funding.

You really want to know why newspapers and magazine sales are down, it has nothing to-do with advertising or marketing. They are obsolete models which are expensive to produce and charge people for something they could get online for free (with adverts), and the information will be more up-to-date online. I used to subscribe to a PC Magazine in the UK, by the time that magazine hit the stands the information was over a MONTH old, and do you know how damaging that is considering the speed technology evolves at? The reason these businesses are failing was because they snubbed the internet when news started appearing online and acted like their “hard copy” system was immune to the power of technology.

As for his comments about the transition to online being a total failure is just plain wrong, take the BBC for example, as a media organisation which provides news, television and radio they have seamlessly made the transition. Their news is one of the most popular news websites in the world and has been well produced with the user in mind. Their radio stations all are available to stream in analogue, DAB, DVB-T and online (and get high numbers of listeners). Their television channels stream LIVE over the web and they have a catch-up service which gets millions of viewers a day and soon they will be supporting high definition for both audio and video.

One of the reasons television is suffering is the same reason as Hollywood is feeling the pinch, too long have the networks just been throwing around money at anything, even if it is rubbish. Television is filled with so much poor quality content there is only a handful of shows to which get enough viewers to make it a genuine success. Look at the movie industry; everything is remakes, pointless sequels’ and low budget films which can be pumped out because it won’t take much to make them profitable. And now due to the credit crunch what is their method of staying alive? Killing projects which might have made them a success and just pushing reruns, trashy reality TV shows and insulting the viewers with poor quality content which makes them look elsewhere for entertainment.

Yahoo, at about 3.5 billion daily page views, is the most visited website in the world.
    I think the above quote from that article says enough. If they think Yahoo is the “most visited website in the world” they clearly have no concept of time as we certainly aren’t in 1997 anymore.