SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unix File Permission Help??

I've developed a content management system. My php script uploads images, for news articles written by the staff, to a directory called :

i/newsimages

I'm trying to set directory permissions under unix where as the images stored in i/newsimages will display on my web pages, however, I don't want just anybody to be able to ftp in and upload or delete file in the newsimages directory.

I put a 775 on the i directory, but unless I put a 777 on the newsimages directory the files (chosen by the staff) won't upload.

I thought of making newsimages a 777 then putting an .htaccess file in, however, I don't believe they will show up when someone visits the site and displays the news articles...it would prompt for a password.a

I also could put a default index.php into the newsimages directory that redirects anyone who tries to view it, however, this doesn't solve the problem if someone anonymously ftps into the site.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just turn off anonymous FTP

I believe 777 is the only way to do it really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, that seemed to work. Any other input, for future reference, from anyone is appreciated as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought you can configure your config file someway that anonymous ftp users default into their own seperate directory.