SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing a new PC for a graphic designer

So our graphic designer is due for an upgraded PC. We are looking at purchasing from Best Buy (our only requirement due to the amazing financing plans), so we have narrowed down the selection to these two PCs:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218013704514
    and
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218048303386

Comparing the two, the Alienware seems like the better deal (despite the fact that its Alienware which some ppl dislike). Obviously the graphics are overkill on the Alienware computer for non-video editing, but looking at the specs, I don't see a reason not to go with that computer.

I did have a couple questions on the two computers:
    1) The Alienware has two graphics cards with a total of 4 ports. Currently the designer only has one monitor, but we could upgrade to two in the future. Is there a way to bridge each card to a single monitor? I don't see him ever getting 4 monitors, but we'd want to harness all the power possible.
    2) I'm having a hard time finding real tech specs for the Alienware, so can anyone tell me if it allows non-graphics cards in the PCI-E x16 slots (I know the HP does not)
    3) The HP ships with 8GB of memory (4x2GB). Can it be expanded to the Vista-64 max of 16GB?

Short of a faster hard drive, is there anything else that a graphic designer would ever need? We don't do any video editing yet, but have toyed with the idea.
    Off Topic:

I think these computers are overkill, but these are the options I'm told to research. Given a "budget" I'd just be upgrading memory.

Thanks,

Brandon
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A designer with only one monitor? That is blasphemy, get that man another monitor , it really increases your productivity.

I would suggest going to both the actual Alienware website and the HP website, where they will list more specific technical specs for their computers, such as Max memory.
    Stair Lifts & Residential Dumbwaiters, source of health news

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find the Alienware on their website (it looks to be BestBuy only maybe?).

I want the designer to have dual monitors eventually. But I want dual monitors first! (I'm a coder and we need desktop space too )
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah looks like you are right.

Dell offers the new Alienware Aurora-101B gaming PC that will be available exclusively at Besy Buy
    (technews.net/2008/10/15/dell-alienware-aurora-101b-desktop-for-best-buy)

It sucks that places like Best Buy seem to purposely only put up as little info as possible. I don't see where they list what kind of MB it has either.

But I want dual monitors first! (I'm a coder and we need desktop space too )
    It is worth it to spend some money on a dual headed card, once you go dual, you won't want to go back. I feel severely hindered whenever I have to use a computer with only one monitor...
    Stair Lifts & Residential Dumbwaiters, source of health news

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dual monitors at home on my personal PC, so I know what you mean by feeling hindered.

New question: The computer will come with 4GB of memory. Photoshop is only capable of using 3GB (according to what I've read). 1) Do we need a scratch disk? If so, how big should a scratch disk be and is 10k rpm mandatory or would another 7200 rpm still give a noticeable increase? We don't do video editing yet, but hope to do a monthly video coming soon...
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6