SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't figure out why one page is slightly to the left...

if anyone could help me, it would be vastly appreciated.

I know the code is a complete mess. This is for class and the teacher said we should use AP layers for everything and make it with dreamweaver. Anyway.. notice the portfolio page is slightly nudged to the left compared to the other pages. (it's designed with css in a centered table). I've gone over all of the code pretty carefully and I don't see what the difference is that could be causing this. It's gotta be at a pretty high level because every single element is affected. If anyone can figure out it I'd be so pleased!

the problem page is
    Code:
    damonmuma.com/mmdp/ctrlshiftweb/html/portfolio.html

sorry im not leet enough to post links yet apparently

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went there with Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3, and Chrome 2 Beta.

The portfolio page and the services page left edges were at the same place in all 3 browsers.

Maybe you have something old cached? What browser do you see it shifted left in?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was firefox and Safari on Mac... firefox and IE on pc seems to be fine. I've loaded it from several sources (both online and on my hd and it still doesn't) and it always does it on the mac. oddd.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you must refresh your cached... It is centered

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K I figured it out.. it shows weirdly on some browsers but you need to have a pretty high resolution. it is slightly differently centered on two of the pages.. more noticeable the wider your browser window.
    I figured out the reason, though, eventually.. it's actually the vertical scrollbar.. so the longer pages that require it are slightly displaced. Seems like it varies from browser to browser whether shorter pages have no scroll bar or a greyed out one.

So basically that means the code my teacher gave us to make pages centered isn't completely perfect. although not sure if there's a way around that problem no matter what you do.. any thoughts on that?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that makes sense. It's centered in the viewport, it's just the viewport is slightly different sizes depending on whether there's a scrollbar. I'd say that's how it's supposed to work

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. It's centered in the viewport, it's just the viewport is slightly different sizes depending on whether there's a scrollbar. I'd say that's how it's supposed to work
    yeah.. it's pretty logical now that i've figured that out lol. it just doesn't look great because the permanent nav hops around a bit. but i guess there's really nothing to be done about that (other than maybe making the pages all about the same length)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cutcopypaste View Post
    yeah.. it's pretty logical now that i've figured that out lol. it just doesn't look great because the permanent nav hops around a bit. but i guess there's really nothing to be done about that (other than maybe making the pages all about the same length)
    I had this happen on one of the sites I developed and it took me a week to figure out it was that one of my pages was too short to even have a nav bar. Looking back it was so obvious .
    Game Website Builder - Start Your Own Money Making Game Website
    Blogging For Money - Learn Profit Blogging
    Web Traffic Academy - Learn How To Get More Web Traffic