SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of servers of my own but STILL recommend hostgator to clients that expect high bandwidth and storage. And, the reason is humorously not because of bandwidth and storage...it's because of support. Hostgator has 24-hour, 7 day support...and by chat (my personal favorite). So, I have a couple of reseller accounts at hostgator in addition to my own servers (hosted elsewhere) for those few clients that suck up disk space and huge usage. "Normal" clients get hosted on my own servers. It's a good mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffvdovjak View Post
    @ Cassidy: that's a bit sneaky and underhanded. I'd rather just put realistic limits and be clear in my terms (not putting stuff in small print but making it easy to understand!)
    I'm no suggesting that anybody do that.

This is the real world and that is just one of the ways we can get the short end of the stick.

My favorite hosting company has set limits on space and bandwidth.

I have accounts at other hosts.

Page load time is markedly faster at favorite.

The "unlimited" I pay $7/mo for cannot begin to compare to what I get at #1 for $20/mo
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is your favourite host then?
    Have I helped you? You could help me.
    Like my business on facebook!
    Text message polls with real-time, live results.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does hostgator have a custom skin or RV skin for their cpanel? I find cpanel can be overwhelming for noobs (and therefore an increase in traffic and dropped customers). Site5.com (the one I'm looking at) has 24hr chat as well (most nights... the odd time it's down for 15 minutes -- probably a bathroom break!) I haven't purchased from them, but I've been running their sales and tech guys into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is your favourite host then?
    My favorite is pair.com

You get a dedicated ip, limited number of sites on the server, very minimal down time, typically less than 30 minutes a year including scheduled outages for upgrades & replacements. 99.999% up
    Cassidy

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ... Site5.com (the one I'm looking at) has 24hr chat as well (most nights... the odd time it's down for 15 minutes -- probably a bathroom break!) I haven't purchased from them, but I've been running their sales and tech guys into the ground.
    Jeff,

I had to leave Site5 just over a year ago because I was in a shared account on a server with a spammer (all e-mail coming from that server, despite my dedicated IP address, was identified as spam). They refused to do anything about it so I left (for a VPS).

Ben (the new CEO of Site5) has been in this forum but I haven't seen him for a while. He said that he was hard at work to UNDO the damage his predecessor had done to a fine operation ... but that was early in his tenure. I'm glad to see that he's had a good effect.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does hostgator have a custom skin or RV skin for their cpanel? I find cpanel can be overwhelming for noobs (and therefore an increase in traffic and dropped customers). Site5.com (the one I'm looking at) has 24hr chat as well (most nights... the odd time it's down for 15 minutes -- probably a bathroom break!) I haven't purchased from them, but I've been running their sales and tech guys into the ground.
    Please let me know if chat is missing, we have double coverage so the bathroom break shouldn't affect it . We have had some problems with our live chat software but it shouldn't be happening any more.

Thanks, Ben
    CEO of Site5 Web Hosting - 18 Locations around the world, 45,000+ happy customers!
    WebPub.com - Automatic WordPress Upgrades (New Startup)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet Ben!
    It being down once every couple of nights for 15 minutes isn't a big deal to me. I would still purchase your services.

However, I'm looking at innohosting.com because they are offering me a transfer credit (as you are) and they provide end-user support for my customers (also WHMCS!).

But I've liked my interaction with Site5 -- and I like how transparent you guys are (with your server status and uptime). I only wish you had an API to integrate it into my site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been happy with Startlogic hosting in the past.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on hostgator now, so far they are great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet Ben!
    It being down once every couple of nights for 15 minutes isn't a big deal to me. I would still purchase your services.

However, I'm looking at innohosting.com because they are offering me a transfer credit (as you are) and they provide end-user support for my customers (also WHMCS!).

But I've liked my interaction with Site5 -- and I like how transparent you guys are (with your server status and uptime). I only wish you had an API to integrate it into my site!
    No problem Jeff! We have plans to do one and do some really cool stuff for resellers but that is not going to be something we finish until the end of 2009. We are in process of totally redoing our uptime and status pages to pull from our monitor system as well and display that inside BackStage. Plus we are working on a customer support desk that will allow more openness and even do things like show ticket response times and how many we have pending later this year.

Gotcha, ya we have no plans to offer end user support to our customers which would be the big difference, I am a bit surprised InnoHosting is doing that all for only $16.95 a month, if you sign up for them could you come back in a few months and leave a review? I'd like to hear how that is working out.

Thanks, Ben
    CEO of Site5 Web Hosting - 18 Locations around the world, 45,000+ happy customers!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit surprised InnoHosting is doing that all for only $16.95 a month, if you sign up for them could you come back in a few months and leave a review? I'd like to hear how that is working out.
    Surprising as it is, they've been doing it for a number of years now.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Surprising as it is, they've been doing it for a number of years now.
    Yep I'm quite impressed, would like to hear more on that, curious if they are outsourcing and how they are doing their support desk integration for their end users and how they are keeping the brands straight so they don't reference the wrong site. Any idea?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bweeb View Post
    Yep I'm quite impressed, would like to hear more on that, curious if they are outsourcing and how they are doing their support desk integration for their end users and how they are keeping the brands straight so they don't reference the wrong site. Any idea?
    Ah I see, they limited the accounts so that with their lower and mid accounts you can only create 25 or 100 cPanel accounts so they limit how many customers a reseller then has and how many they are thus supporting. On the higher they do unlimited which bumps the price up to $27/$43. Our equivalent plan based on resources minus the end user support is $20.

Thanks, Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally set up an account at hostGator, I've been singing their praises for a while, I hope the praise was justified.

Cassidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    We finally set up an account at hostGator, I've been singing their praises for a while, I hope the praise was justified.

hostgator is a very reputable provider, they offer 45 day money back if you're not satisfied, so let us know how it goes, good luck!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,
    Their prices are a lot more. The amount of storage and bandwidth is a lot less, and they do cap their customer limits. However, if they have good customer support it's worth paying for. If I can virtually wash my hands of the work then I can expand... so I don't mind paying more...
    Their servers seem pretty fast too...

Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,
    Their prices are a lot more. The amount of storage and bandwidth is a lot less, and they do cap their customer limits. However, if they have good customer support it's worth paying for. If I can virtually wash my hands of the work then I can expand... so I don't mind paying more...
    Their servers seem pretty fast too...

Jeff
    Very true! Please let me know how their end user support does.

Thanks, Ben

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Hostgator or Lunarpages.
    Last edited by longneck; Aug 27, 2009 at 15:19.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lunar pages claims 2,000 Mbit connection... I'm not sure I trust that figure (or they're maxing it out with too many servers). Especially since after pinging them they are 15% slower than my accounts at dreamhost.com (who's not known for their speed). My server there has also been experiencing difficulties today in speed (though admittedly, it's sped up 300% which means they've probably solved all the problems).

I'm looking at vpsville.ca because I've been wanting a server in Canada (but just got screwed out of almost $100 by a company last month which I had to quit)...

However, they are 800% faster than lunar pages on multiple pings... though if I traced it it'd be slightly shorter route -- but most of my pages are for canadians...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially since after pinging them they are 15% slower than my accounts at dreamhost.com (who's not known for their speed).
    ping packets are often given low priority on networks, and are thus unreliable as a form of testing performance. Also ping varies a lot with the distance between you and them, number of hops etc. You're thus not comparing apples to oranges either.

Generally speaking, if your visitors are mostly from Canada as well, hosting anywhere in North America should be quite acceptable for website browsing purposes.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Geek View Post
    Hi all,

I am still looking for good web hosting company. I want the space to install vBulletin forum on it and communicte with members. So, I need a good space for MySQL database and I need a good traffic and Up time as well ..

Please could you reccommened me something excellent?

Regards,
    CS Geek
    You can try Byethost. They use Vista control panel, large disk space and huge bandwidth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is one of the tough tasks to locate a befitting host that serves your purpose well.Webhost reviews are a plenty but most of them are full of affiliates and sponsored ones.The problem is how to have an access to honest opinions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashvaj View Post
    It is one of the tough tasks to locate a befitting host that serves your purpose well.Webhost reviews are a plenty but most of them are full of affiliates and sponsored ones.The problem is how to have an access to honest opinions?
    I see this question a lot and generally I have to say the main point is it really doesn't matter too much, no hosting service is going to be perfect for everyone and thus no service is going to have perfect reviews. If you go with a big brand host like BlueHost, HostMonster, Site5 (Me), HostGator, Lunarpages, etc you are getting solid shared web hosting that will work for 90% of the webmasters out there. Now if you have specific needs that is where research comes in, for example if you need Phusion and FastCGI for Ruby on Rails you need to find who has that who is good etc.

So I hope my point is clear, but if you just want a general website to play with a number of scripts you are going to be fine on a webmaster oriented host. I of course think we are better then others, especially as the CEO is posting here "_

For reviews take a look at WHReviews.com, it is a good one, webhostingstuff.com is also good, but keep in mind no reviews site is really big enough yet to get the full picture, generally I recommend chking out their forum,
    Thanks, Ben

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use hostgator. So far everything is fine!