Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please reccommened me an excellent hosting company

Hi all,

I am still looking for good web hosting company. I want the space to install vBulletin forum on it and communicte with members. So, I need a good space for MySQL database and I need a good traffic and Up time as well ..

Please could you reccommened me something excellent?

Regards,
    CS Geek

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beleieve hostgator to be a good hosting site, many forum posts around the web about them

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HostGator is one the better ones if you intend to go for bigger hosting companies. At least they do not resort to overselling like many big hosting companies do these days.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim25 View Post
    HostGator is one the better ones if you intend to go for bigger hosting companies. At least they do not resort to overselling like many big hosting companies do these days.
    Hi,

I'm so glad I'd put my drink down, I might of needed a new keyboard. We are talking about the same HostGator right? The one that used to include many GB of storage and 100s of GB of data transfer on shared accounts and now provides "unlimited" space and transfer?

HostGator have been quite large oversellers for as long as I can remember.

Thanks,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in a way, but they do have control over it and are doing it within their capacity, unlike some other web hosts.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in a way
    They oversell, no ifs and buts. Brent, the owner, blogged about it more than once. That they manage it decently, and arguably do give customers their $8 worth of service, has no relevance on the overselling practice. Overselling is not the boogeyman, nor a portmanteau for "big ugly hosting service". It's a well defined practice that can extend from disk space and bandwidth, to server resources and customer support. It can be done well, or it can be mismanaged.

are doing it within their capacity
    Overselling is selling beyond the means of delivery. To oversell within your capacity, to me it translates as "not overselling".
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    They oversell, no ifs and buts. Brent, the owner, blogged about it more than once. That they manage it decently, and arguably do give customers their $8 worth of service, has no relevance on the overselling practice. Overselling is not the boogeyman, nor a portmanteau for "big ugly hosting service". It's a well defined practice that can extend from disk space and bandwidth, to server resources and customer support. It can be done well, or it can be mismanaged.

Overselling is selling beyond the means of delivery. To oversell within your capacity, to me it translates as "not overselling".
    If you have 50GB, and promise your customer that he can have 100GB.

Before the customer used up the 50GB space, then you buy another 50GB to make it 100GB limit.

Result? Customer gets 100GB still.

This is business. You don't buy a 1,000,000 TB server and then claim that you provide unlimited space. In fact, your 1,000,000 TB is not unlimited still.

What a web host claims to give unlimited space is they ensure space is always available before you reach the limit.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said ldcdc. Always there is difference between managed overselling and what we call 'blind overselling'. And people never understand it that way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my IndiaNets.

They are just a small hosting company, but everything runs smoothly and they are cheap. All features are included and they give excellent support.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Hi,

I'm so glad I'd put my drink down, I might of needed a new keyboard. We are talking about the same HostGator right? The one that used to include many GB of storage and 100s of GB of data transfer on shared accounts and now provides "unlimited" space and transfer?

HostGator have been quite large oversellers for as long as I can remember.

Thanks,
    I totally agree but it doesn't provides unlimited only if you pay the jackpot they've also got other packets like this one 350GB space, 3000GB bandwidth for $5.95/month. Coupon code: SNOWMAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickardo View Post
    I totally agree but it doesn't provides unlimited only if you pay the jackpot they've also got other packets like this one 350GB space, 3000GB bandwidth for $5.95/month. Coupon code: SNOWMAN
    That doesn't matter and that in any case overselling
    and you call that unlimited or offre whole dedicated server for $5
    Really that doesn't matter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the best hosting company is your own server

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like there is misinterpretation here.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tim25 View Post
    If you have 50GB, and promise your customer that he can have 100GB.

Before the customer used up the 50GB space, then you buy another 50GB to make it 100GB limit.

Result? Customer gets 100GB still.

This is business. You don't buy a 1,000,000 TB server and then claim that you provide unlimited space. In fact, your 1,000,000 TB is not unlimited still.

What a web host claims to give unlimited space is they ensure space is always available before you reach the limit.
    What tim25 said was what ldcdc meant. They both meant that as long as web hosts managed them well, to ldcdc was "managed oversell", to tim25 was "managed oversell" as well.

Anyway, tim25's business practice is widely practiced by all web hosts that claim to offer unlimited space and bandwidth in shared hosting.

That doesn't matter and that in any case overselling
    and you call that unlimited or offre whole dedicated server for $5
    Really that doesn't matter
    No unlimited dedicated server in web hosting. Shared web hosting can be unlimited because all users don't use up all space, but dedicated server web hosting has fixed space. They rent you 500GB hard drive, that's their limit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think there is any one Excellent hosting company. Because, What seems to be excellent for you, may not be the one for others. It applies to all big as well as small hosting companies. Just find your hosting by googling.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Quality, reliable hosting service since 2008
    ►Instant Budget CPanel hosting- 24x7 Support
    ►Litespeed- Softaculous- RVSitebuilder- R1Soft backups
    SEO Hosting- Spread your websites on 10 servers with A Class IPs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about going for a reseller plan, then you can sell your own shared hosting and maybe make a little extra cash...
    http://ZIGOhost.com Shared/VPS/Dedicated Hosting Plans

http://ZigoImageHost.com Just REGISTER then upload pics

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is that possible to read good hosting companies' reviews(about those which are in the top 30)?

Are there any specific forums for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Where is that possible to read good hosting companies' reviews(about those which are in the top 30)?

Are there any specific forums for this?
    Nearly any forum or review site you will find that focuses on a "top 10, 20, 50, 100 or whatever" is likely supported by the affiliate revenue generated there, so I would hesitate to put any faith in it. Hang around here or other forums and follow the discussion and you will find a consensus.

Hostgator is a reasonable choice from most perspectives, it has it's warts but generally gets good marks.
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HostGator is very popular

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that Hostgator is very popular.What about the other hosting companies?

Does anybody know about Fastnext or Hostony?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using dreamhost.com for years. Highly recommend them.
    They have a proprietary web panel that is easier to use than most, and has tons of features. Their support staff usually get back to you WITH an answer in under a couple of hours (quite often within a few minutes). I really like them.
    They always have deals on. $9.95/month with $50 setup (but you can use a promo code to get that waived - like using 40domain which will get you a year worth of hosting for $40 plus 1 free domain. After the year is up you can switch to paying $9.95. I did something like that years and years ago. There might be other deals out there (I know there's lots!)
    Have I helped you? You could help me.
    Like my business on facebook!
    Text message polls with real-time, live results.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I like dreamhost because they're always improving... and (despite their early future) are pretty stable (I haven't had an outage for more than 20 minutes that I'm aware of in 3 years).
    And they have tons of features you can experiment or learn to grow into (like streaming media, ect).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @the overselling issue
    Overselling web space is like overselling plane tickets (i used to work for an airline company). Airlines have detailed statistics about how many people will miss a flight (for example, at christmas time in 2005 we would overbook a flight from miami to new york by 300% and they still had 2 seats empty when the plain left). If it's done right there's no problem. They do offer things like a full fare economy ticket (almost double the price with lufthansa anyway) and you are guaranteed not to get bumped. Same with first and business class. That's like getting a better plan (like a dedicated server). But almost always you don't have people getting bumped on their flights (unless it's continental ). They offer "unlimited" because 99% of people don't use more than a few megabytes. Also due to the policy you agree to (you can't use your server as a backup or filedump) you'd never use more than a few gigs (unless you're a photo repository - and that's probably against the terms since it would probably be hogging other system resources).
    So offering a 100 people "unlimited" resources when you can be 99.99% assured that each person will on average use much less than 1 gig means you can have them all on one server. If one person or two start using far more, you just switch them to another server (which is fine, because you've got a 100 more new clients you can fill in the spaces with).
    I've got 14 domains hosted on my account and I'm not pushing much higher than a few hundred megabytes (so if I'm on a 5gig plan or an unlimited doesn't concern me) and I have a photography website with tons of raw photos with high res, medium res and low res copies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you get a customer that's eating up your capacity, you just tweak something every now and then, and they complain and eventually take a hike.
    Cassidy
    Income Mobility Make Your Income Upwardly Mobile
    WEB HOST with unlimited domains, Bandwidth, Disk Space, MYSQL
    $25 first year limited time offer Jiffy Hosting

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Cassidy: that's a bit sneaky and underhanded. I'd rather just put realistic limits and be clear in my terms (not putting stuff in small print but making it easy to understand!)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know Hostony( hostony.com) offers good resources.They provide 500gb of disk space and 5 TB of traffic. When a company offers unlimited resources, this is done to attract the attention of new clients.