SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a recommendation

Okay I really want to learn HTML, XHTML, CSS. My friend gave me Wrox - Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS - it is over 700 pages long. Which is fine really - but reading the first 50 pages I can say half of it is extra clutter which is really making reading this book annoying and boring. I don't care how web pages were displayed 10 years ago, when the web started, and who created HTML. Which brings me to this thread - I really want someone to recommend me a good book on learning HTML, XHTML and CSS without the extra fluff. I want it simple, small and to the point. I'd rather read a 100 page book and pay 3 times the price if it has the same information as a book with 600 pages. It's pretty ridiculous the amount of extra crap there is in books.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this:
    HTML, XHTML & CSS For Dummies...18 bucks on amazon. Ditch that one you have right now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can continue using that book. The reference to how web looked 10 years ago is a requirement to understand CSS, as HTML was never meant to be page layout language. We took help of tables and tried to make if as beautiful as possible. CSS wants you to leave your page as it would have been 10 years ago and add presentation to it using additional CSS definitions.
    Bhumika @ Market Out There
    I Love Shopping... more when others do it! using my Links

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is I don't care - you can't have two books on the same exact thing have 400 pages in difference. Also thanks Thundercow for the recommendation!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If money is not an issue, then I might opt for dvd lessons. At least it's more entertaining than reading the books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here start learning!!!!!! for me I think reading, DVD demo is pretty good though my opnion is one on one tutorials if more effectivie)

Anyway good luck!!!

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free and very easy, simple: w3schools.com
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Free and very easy, simple: w3schools.com
    w3schools is a great reference, and I still refer to it all the time for syntax and coding questions, but w3schools isn't really laid out in a "readable" format. I'd use both.