SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well what can I say?

A person called and said every time they tried to use a flash app I built, their browser would say some sort of aol plug in error and IE must close. I told them that has to do with their browser and not a problem with the app. They said they understand I have no control over browsers but now they are afraid this could be happening to other users and want me to do something about it. What can I say to that?
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People still use AOL??? Anyway... this is probably the biggest challenge of support. Dealing with clients who are clueless, but you have to just try to explain it them in terms they can understand. It won't be easy, but you need to prove to them that probably any Flash application they try to load will fail and hopefully this will convince them that it's really a problem on their computer and not the "Internet". Good luck...

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best you may be able to do to appease them would be to offer some kind of, "AOL users, please click here" link or do like an AOL-detect (if that's even possible).

Do you know of any Flash apps similar to yours that DO work ?

If those types of apps always crash, maybe you can make a case for yourself and present the links to them. OR, if you can find apps that run then maybe you can dissect them to fix your own.

And maybe you can present your case in a way that will make them pay for the fix, as it's a specific patch and not an innate bug in your code (hopefully...).

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse