SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need an Inspiring video on Vim text editor

Ok so i didn't exactly tell the truth, I use linux ocassionally and gedit is the editor that i use most on linux. Don't know much about linux server administration but hey it can't be that hard can it? Ok so long story short i got the job (oh did i mention the business owner is my uncle). Now i am stuck with a black ubuntu server screen and a command prompt and VIM . I am reading and learning about server stuff but VIM .

Please I need an inspiring vim video one that will help lift my spirit up when i feel like tending in my resignation (yeah don't remind me credit crunch and all). there are a few on you tube but i haven't seen one that has put me in a trance yet.

I'll be most gratefull and oh please remember me in your prayers.
    Prov. 13:20 - He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a
    companion of fools shall be destroyed

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you working directly on the server? Keyboard and mouse connected to the server itself? Well for me anyways I would use SSH to remotely connect to the server. This allows for two things, large workspace not compressed to a fixed resolution. Internet references at my finger tips without having to switch computers all the time to get help. There is a third...copy and paste.

Installing SSH on Ubuntu Server is very easy. sudo apt-get install ssh

As for VIM I'm not sure what kind of videos you are looking for and sadly I really don't know any. You really only need to know how to move around VIM and how to enter "input" mode and exit out of it to save and quit.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.