SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Started Programming

I have been programming on and off for several years, never really completing any usable programs, just learning how to program and play with the code as a hobby.

I am going to be starting college in the fall and I want to take the computer programming or game programming classes they offer at the university.

For every 1 thing that I learn there are 100 new things that are created. I spend time learning one technology just to find out that as soon as I get good at it, it becomes replaced with something else, and I feel stupid again.

I would like to go into business for myself, and its a realistic goal for me, but how do I keep on top of things? College will teach me some stuff, but after I am done with college what do I do? How do I know when new technologies are coming out, and how do I get access to them to learn them before they are out?

So many times I notices that a new programming technology comes out like XNA, WPF, etc. etc. and by the time it comes out there are so many people that are already good at it, and I have no idea where to even start.

How do I keep up, where do I get the information, and still at the same time keep developing stuff. If I spend too much time learning something I never make anything, and if I spend time making stuff by the time its done with the first beta the technology is outdated.

I don't understand how people take it all in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to stick with major programming languages, there's some with a future and some not.

Im not much of a coder but I try to stay in line with what's used mostly.

These are the most widely used programming languages.

C, JAVA, C++, PHP, Visual basics, perl.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree if you stick with the major ones they usually stick around besides once you get used to them and really good at programming learning another lanuage is just syntax for the most part.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using C#, that wasn't in your list but it probably should be. I think its going to be one of the most popular languages as far as Microsoft/Windows programming goes.

PHP will always be popular for Linux. C# gets beat out by C++ only because of C++'s horsepower, greater control over the operating system. But it makes up for that by being extremly complex, and sometimes a PITA to use.

C# usually means faster developement time, but C++ means more control.

Regardless of the language, I am not so much talking about the lanuages themself. I am talking about the other technologies that are used with the lanuages, like XNA, WPF, LINQ, Silverlight, etc... It's very hard for me to keep up with this new stuff.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well XNA, WPF, LINQ are pretty much just APIs built on top of .NET. If you are already comfortable with C# then you can use all those right now. The underlining system and syntax stays exactly the same. That is why "there are so many people that are already good at it" [sic]
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.