SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here that uses Ubuntu?

I am getting really tired of windows xp, with the fact that it won't be updated for a bit longer, all the viruses, its tendency to piss me off, and just annoying. I am downloading Ubuntu because I have heard some great things about, such as no viruses, faster, and looks better (not that it matters, but yeah). So anyone here who uses Ubuntu want to give me some info on the OS, whether I should go with it, any recommendations when I get it started, etc?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is, just try it out and if you like it you like, etc. Either use a live CD or there is a new option wubi that requires no messing with the HDD partitions or your current OS. Basicly it will create a dual boot system. That would allow you to test out the full feature set of Ubuntu before moving over completely.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a little tricky to install but it is also possible to install Ubuntu in Virtual PC so that you can run it under Windows XP and have both operating systems running at the same time. A useful option if you are trying things out and haven't yet decided if you want to make the switch. Also useful for Windows users who occasionally need to test something under Linux.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    there is a new option wubi that requires no messing with the HDD partitions or your current OS. Basicly it will create a dual boot system. That would allow you to test out the full feature set of Ubuntu before moving over completely.
    I've wanted to break into the Linux world for a while - but to install it has always been a bit of a pain in the a**. Thanks Logic!
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really liking Linux so far - it seems so much faster then Windows XP. I'll write again as I go along!

SitePoint Member customtollfree's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ubuntu really looks like XP, I've played with it for sometime. The thing is some software I use does not support Linux so I'm stuck with XP.
    The right toll free number is your key to success!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love Ubuntu, unfortunately I require the use of windows for the purposes of testing multiple browsers (live) for web design and more importantly software development (which I develop using the .NET platform) so I am handcuffed to Windows for the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to surrend the .NET framework, shame because C# was my extreme best language at the time. I felt like a supreme master then. But then again , MS kept changing the rule and "upgrading" stuff .. things got way too expensive .. so had to give up for good.

I use Slackware Linux now. Not that I recommend it to anyone

But Linux as a whole is like this - if you invest (time) on it - you get something back later. Always

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a lot of windows software on linux with the wine program. Downloading it now - then going to test out some of my software.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using linux for a while and I quite like it. Someone mentioned .net development and I would like to suggest Mono. It is supposed to be a project that allows .net development on Linux. I have no idea if it is any good but if you want to use Linux and do .net you should have a look. For browser testing you can install IEs4Linux which will give you up to IE6 I think. You can also try installing wine for those programs you just can't do without but I have usually found that route to be a bit lacking.

Of course it never hurts to have a Windows install somewhere either and just remember no matter how much you like it resist the temptation to become a fan boy!
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The simplest solution where you need more than one operating system is to install one in a Virtual Machine running on the other. That allows you to use both on the same computer at the same time.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've tried Ubuntu and I am just in awe.

It's much faster than XP, has a much nicer interface etc.

The thing which I like the most is how ridiculously simple it is to compile and install packages and applications.

Most windows users cringe when they see the extention 'tar.gz'; They aren't very windows friendly, and compiling inner-files for use with Windows (if they were made to work with Windows) is unstable and is usually full of problems.

With Linux, the same file takes two bash commands to unpack and install.

The problem I've had so far is setting up the wireless connection on my Dell Inspiron 6400. I've tried many ways to no avail, so I'm reinstalling Ubuntu and starting fresh. If anyone has any advice in that respect it'd be appreciated.

As to getting started, there isn't that much to learn. I think learning simple bash would be very useful, and a few problems with hardware compatibility should be expected. I suppose that's the beauty of Linux; it's not packed with unneeded drivers, and as far as I've seen so far, you can get alot of hardware working with a simple download.

I'm keeping windows on my machine, but I have a feeling that Ubuntu will be becoming my default OS before long...

The simplest solution where you need more than one operating system is to install one in a Virtual Machine running on the other. That allows you to use both on the same computer at the same time.
    I'd actually disagree.

If you install Ubuntu on a partition (e.g. with Wubi), you can experience the true speed and performance of the system. Running in a VM, you're going to get a sizeable decrease in performance due to running multiple operating systems.

It's also simple. Just a case of restarting the computer and pressing down to 'Ubuntu' in the boot selector. Though it does have problems in the beginning if you can't connect to a network with Ubuntu, because you'd need to restart again, or have another computer by you, to find out how to fix it!
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    If you install Ubuntu on a partition (e.g. with Wubi), you can experience the true speed and performance of the system...
    Almost but not quite. There is reduced performance with Wubi concerning HDD access. It has to go though two file systems to read and write.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Ok, I've tried Ubuntu and I am just in awe.

It's much faster than XP, has a much nicer interface etc.

The thing which I like the most is how ridiculously simple it is to compile and install packages and applications.

Most windows users cringe when they see the extention 'tar.gz'; They aren't very windows friendly, and compiling inner-files for use with Windows (if they were made to work with Windows) is unstable and is usually full of problems.

With Linux, the same file takes two bash commands to unpack and install.

The problem I've had so far is setting up the wireless connection on my Dell Inspiron 6400. I've tried many ways to no avail, so I'm reinstalling Ubuntu and starting fresh. If anyone has any advice in that respect it'd be appreciated.

As to getting started, there isn't that much to learn. I think learning simple bash would be very useful, and a few problems with hardware compatibility should be expected. I suppose that's the beauty of Linux; it's not packed with unneeded drivers, and as far as I've seen so far, you can get alot of hardware working with a simple download.

I'm keeping windows on my machine, but I have a feeling that Ubuntu will be becoming my default OS before long...

I'd actually disagree.

If you install Ubuntu on a partition (e.g. with Wubi), you can experience the true speed and performance of the system. Running in a VM, you're going to get a sizeable decrease in performance due to running multiple operating systems.

It's also simple. Just a case of restarting the computer and pressing down to 'Ubuntu' in the boot selector. Though it does have problems in the beginning if you can't connect to a network with Ubuntu, because you'd need to restart again, or have another computer by you, to find out how to fix it!
    I'm glad you are liking Ubuntu - sadly my attempt at using my portable Photoshop CS3 failed, I did read that CS2 will work with Wine so downloading that now. Also before I used Ubuntu as my default (when I would select from the boot menu) it did not perform as fast as it does now, and I couldn't connect to the Internet with my wire. The one thing I do regret from switching to Ubuntu is really something I could have controlled - I lost about 600 bookmarks. =/ Whatever - I am still loving Ubuntu and its awesome speeds, can't wait to see how Photoshop goes in it. Photoshop sucked with windows xp - and my new computer will definitely go with Ubuntu.

Also for Ubuntu people - I have a REALLY slow downloading speed, but a very fast internet speed, I mean I can surf the web with great speeds but my downloading speed is only 30 KB/sec. If anything I am using a Motorola modem, and I have 100mb/sec internet. If I surf the web or don't the speed is always around 30 KB/sec.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it exclusively now and I've seen 4 others in my office switch from Win to Ubuntu over the last month. I've found the hardware support to be better than vista and the community support is amazing. Answers tend to be easier to come by than they were for Windows.

Overall I would highly recommend the OS change, but what apps are you interested in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipPejovski View Post
    I have heard some great things about, such as no viruses, faster, and looks better (not that it matters, but yeah)
    There are a lot of ways in which Ubuntu or any other good Linux distro is better than XP, but I wouldn't have picked those three.

I'd say it's more along the lines of being free (in two ways: no cost and no restrictions on use), secure, endlessly customisable, regular upgrades available, huge amount of compatible software (all free), etc.

But I wouldn't have said that it never has any viruses, or that it was significantly faster or better looking than XP.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've got the wireless fixed - it can now see all the wireless routers on the street other than my own , not sure why but I'm sure I'll fix that soon.

Any Linux users got any ideas about essential programs when it comes to program development? I'm a PHP developer, and I think this semi-move to ubuntu might give me the opportunity to get myself acquainted with VIM, but that might be a bit of a leap from what I'm used to; NotePad++ and Netbeans PHP;

I think that it's also a good opportunity to set up PHP/Apache/MySQL the right way, manually. Through windows, manual installation seems clumsy; And my experience so far with Ubuntu tells me that it will be better through Linux.

I was expecting to have problems getting my favorite applications on, such as Opera. Luckily, alot of the software I'm used to is Linux-friendly too!

I think I'm going through a mid-computer-life crisis, and Ubuntu is my Ferrari
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Ubuntu. Great to have a LAMP server if you do web design too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the first things I do when setting up a fresh Linux install, is clean up the terminal by removing the path (redundant, its in the title bar) and the "$" sign leaving only the name. I also, depending on the capabilities, add color. Another key aspect I change is making the root account stand out from standard users.

* Btw, my terminal uses real transparencies not faux transparent

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats really cool is that Ubuntu already has ALOT of software already downloaded on the system, and you can pick and choose from the already installed menu or using the terminal install a lot of others, I'm having a pretty annoying problem with linux now, give some insight - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1103297

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still really enjoying my experience with ubuntu so far.

Everything is simple, and I'm getting the hang of Bash quite well so far.

As to my WiFi issue, I fixed it temporarily by setting my router's security to WEP. I don't want to keep it this way because I have other things usually connected to it, and setting up some long key would be a tedious task. Ontop of that, it seems to be going slower now. Whether that's because of the different encryption or whether my wireless driver in ubuntu can't handle a good connection, I don't know.

Before I set my router to WEP, it was on WPA-PSK. My router couldn't even be seen by the computer, whilst a list of neighbors' routers could be. After changing it, as expected, the router is now visible.

Any ideas on how I can get ubuntu to recognise WPA-PSK?
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are better off asking at ubuntuforums.org, or do a google search - that's how I found the answer to a lot of my problems. [Doing a google search, not going to the ubuntuforums.]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google was the first thing I tried, but all the advice points to stuff I already have installed - WPASupplicant being the main one, which I apparently have but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Plus /etc/WPA_Supplicant.conf doesn't seem to exist, but I think it should.

All that's there is a WPA_Supplicant directory with two unuseful files in.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah then go to the ubuntu forums, I just got my question answered there and it saved me a lot of stress [should have done it from the start, wasted 2-5 hours on this]. I just hate the fact that I can't use Adobe Photoshop cs3 >.<! I don't have a windows xp cd to dual boot and I'm not spending $120 for it when Im getting it free with my new computer. Well yeah thats enough of me talking to myself - go to ubuntuforums.org. It took about 1 hour for someone to answer.