User Tag List

Thread: Windows XP SP3

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows XP SP3

I've had to work on a Windows computer. I had to reformat it and reinstall Windows. I've had a lot of problems with the system. I'm really not sure what all the problems are, it may just be shot completely. I'm more of a Linux guy than a Windows guy, so I may just try and install Linux on it.

At any rate, I've had trouble doing Windows updates on the system. I downloaded Service Pack 3 from Microsoft's website (not through Windows Updates). It first told me that the file was corrupt, but a couple of reboots later, it does seem to extract, but then tells me that it can't install because the system does not have Service Pack 1 installed. I thought all of the Windows Service packs were cumulative, meaning that Service Pack 3 actually included Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 in addition to whatever Service Pack 3 offers as new.

When I go to Windows Update, it tells me that my next update is Service Pack 2. Which would lead me to believe that Service Pack 1 has been installed. But when I try to install Service Pack 2 it gives an error "Failed to install catalog files".

Like I said, I think the system may just be shot. My next step is trying to install Linux on it and see if problems persists, which might indicate some type of hardware defect.

I have tried different memory and different hard drives on the system.

Really just wondering if anyone else might have any ideas before I go the Linux route.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was no valuable data on it I would have just gone fresh with a Window XP cd that already had Server Pack 2 and 3 slipstreamed onto it, along with any updates. That is of course I was still using XP personally.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be ideal, but I don't have a Windows XP CD with Service Pack 2 and/or 3.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you do have a Windowx XP CD right?
    You can slipstream SP2 and 3 onto the CD yourself using nlite.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member customtollfree's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Most Windows XP installation CD I encounter for the past 2 years already have SP2 on them. It could be you got your XP CD way back in 2001?
    The right toll free number is your key to success!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    But you do have a Windowx XP CD right?
    You can slipstream SP2 and 3 onto the CD yourself using nlite.
    Heres how to do it: http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstr...nstallation-cd

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link and the information. I don't have the CD with me this weekend, but when I'm back at work on Monday I'll look into this.

I had heard of slipstreaming before but really just never gave it any thought with this.

Will I just need to apply the service pack 3 download into Windows XP? I know there may be some other updates, but I figure that is all minor and can be grabbed via Windows Updates.