User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to design, web works in firefox but not in explorer

Hi All,

I am very new to web design (I have been experimenting for 2 months). A Spanish friend asked me to do his website for a small business and I told him it would be very basic but I would.

It displays fine on Firefox but is completely screwed up in IE and I have no idea what the problem would be. It doesn't seem to be adding the background picture on the index page or the reel behind the links on any page. In addition the footer on the index page is miles down the page.

I am really desperate for some help, if anyone can tell me what is happening or why it looks OK in Firefox but not in IE I would really appreciate it. The website is www.elisegur.es, please help, i have tried really hard to make it half decent for him and now feel like I have fallen at the last hurdle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by Jan23778; Mar 20, 2009 at 05:22.
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jan-

I know what you mean; I truly and sincerely loathe IE for this. When I'm creating sites, it's always the last browser to check and, of course, it's always the one where the standard rules don't apply. I swear they just like to be different and they're doing it on-purpose...at the expense of our time and energy (not like we're going to switch back from FireFox anyway, right?).

1. In my stats, the percentages of visitors even still using IE have gone down tremendously over the last year. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are net-wide, but I know it's now about equal to those viewing my site in 800x600 resolution. Ancient. But there are some workarounds that don't make your site go *reverse* in the other browsers, as well.

That said, let me have a look at the code in your site and see how you've got it set up and see if I can be of any help. No promises, though!

J

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could that would be great!! Thank you so much for your time!! I know it is in Spanish which makes it even more complicated and that is why I really, REALLY appreciate any effort and any advice you could give me.
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Again Jan-

Okay, here are a few ideas for you. I took a look at your code and your css style sheet, and I can make a few recommendations to try out, but I'm no IE compatibility expert, just used to running into bugs when checking cross-compatibility with both.

For your front page, you use a DIV tag that loads the image into the container via the css code. Well, from the looks of it, IE doesn't do too well with this, or at least using this structure. One easy (and arguably messy) workaround is to add these DIV attributes into the tag itself, as well as into the style sheet (for all other browsers) eg:

#front-photo p{

color: white;
    text-align: center;
    font-size: 95%;
    height: 579px;
    width: 870px;
    background: url(spot2.jpg)no-repeat 0% 100% ;
    padding: 35px 15px -5px 0px;
    margin: 0px 0px 0px -5px;

}

...becomes...

<div id="front-photo" style="background:url(spot2.jpg) 100% 0; color: white; text-align: center; font-size: 95%; height: 579px; width: 870px; background-repeat: no-repeat; padding: 35px 15px -5px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px -5px;">

Like I said, it's an arguable workaround, but if you try it out, you'll see that it works. I have a test copy of the site set up myself and can give you the URL if you'd like a demo of this in action. Don't change your CSS (it looks good), just add the important attributes to the DIV tag for IE.

Anyone else have a good workaround for this?

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, Jan. HTML is *always* in english, and I speak Spanish, anyway.

Glad (and hope) I could help.

J

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jray, you are a star!!!

Thank you so much for your advice, I did the same thing for the reel and will check it out later in IE, but its looking hopeful. If you can send me the url that you mentioned I would be very interested to see it.

Again I really apreciate you effort and if you are ever in Barcelona I will be the first to buy you a beer!

Thanks
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, glad I could help, but there has to be a cleaner fix out there, *somewhere*.

And I do go through Barcelona on occasion...maybe I'll take you up on that beer. Be careful

J

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heheh,

No worries, if you stop through Barcelona you know the beer is cheap!! The offer holds. Thanks again, as I said, I am new to web design and I have only got this far thanks to the help that you and others on this site give.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!!
    Jan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jrai,

I have just been able to check the site in IE (I think it is IE 6) and it is still screwed up although the images are coming through now. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, Jan, I'm re-downloading and taking a look at the code now, but as I mentioned I'm no CSS compatibility guru...part of the reason I've stopped lurking here and started posting. If I figure something out, I'll post it asap, but I'm honestly hoping somebody better with IE compatibility browses this post and sets us both straight. *lol

Maybe no beer for me after all. ... *sniff*

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHAHAH

No worries, you have worked for it, I will meet you half way and buy you half a beer. :-)

Thanks again for all your help.
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *lol

No problem. I'll let you know what I come up with anyway. Maybe then we can have half a good time, too. *l

I'll post if I've figured a fix for ya'.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On this page, there are errors in the html and IE7 is not guessing what you want.
    Code:
     <li><span class="styled">OTROS SEGUROS.</span>Adem&#225;s realizamos toda clase de seguros como autos, camiones, motos, hogar, comercio, oficina, vida, accidentes, salud, etc, tocamos todos los ramos y podemos conseguirle precios muy competitivos.  
    </li>
        <div class="plug"><p>ELISEGUR HACE TODOS TUS SEGUROS, &#161;ASEG&#218;RATE BIEN&#161;
    <p/>
    </ul>

<!-- end of bodycontent div -->
    </body>
    </html>
    This
    <div class="plug"><p>ELISEGUR HACE TODOS TUS SEGUROS, &#161;ASEG&#218;RATE BIEN&#161;
    <p/>
    belongs AFTER </ul>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have this code
    Code:
    #navigation {

position: absolute;
    left: 800px;
    height : 661px;
    width : 130px;
    text-decoration : none;
    float : right;
    The first two lines (position and left) can be deleted and then the margin or padding set to 0 50px 0 0 (or whatever value you like where I've used 50px). I think that might help on the contacto page where in IE7 the nav is over to the side a bit more than the other pages, and I think that's because IE7 is putting it 800px to the left (it isn't on the other pages, where it's left by 650px)