SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Few Host Reviews I've Used

Im going to give a short review on a few hosts I've used over the years.
    Aplus.net
    HostGator.com
    GoDaddy.com
    SliceHost.com
    MediaTemple.net

Aplus.net -- 8/10
    Pros: Unique Control Panel, Extremely Reliable Hosting, Package Sizes are more than enough, Have had good tech support for a few years.
    Cons: Lack of Many Multiple Domain per Account, Tech Support seems to have slowed down the past year, PHP/MySQL a little behind.

HostGator.com -- 8/10
    Pros: CPanel (If you like it), Uptime for me was always great and sites never went down in my 7 or 8 months. Space/Bandwidth was great more than enough. I only contacted Tech once, quick reply. Many Domains, Easily Manage Stuff.
    Cons: Forced to use CPanel, no SSH, no InnoDB Storage Engine, Cancelling is kinda uncool.

GoDaddy -- 6/10
    Pros: Great Price, Can do what you need, Decent speed.
    Cons: Admin Panel is slow and not that great, GoDaddy Ads everywhere like they always do, its just too slow. The Hosting is also a bit slow for myself and 3 other clients Ive used, terribly slow using InnoDB on one of them.

SliceHost VPS -- 9.8/10
    Pros: Hands down the best tech support I've ever had, Nice staff and Community. Slicers tend to become buddies and shoot the breeze. Nice Admin Panel, Super Fast servers. Quick Setup, Really Easy to do a lot.. I love this place.
    Cons: I would like more Disk space for cheaper but VPS/Dedicated can get pricey. Otherwise I have no complaints besides setting up a VPS can be tricky.

MediaTemple.net -- 9/10 (Only one month in)
    Pros: Custom Admin Panel is Sexy! Multiple domains, Databases, etc -- lots of space/bandwidth.
    Cons: none yet, I've only been in it for a month but so far it's holding up great with about 6 domains and 3k daily traffic with about 500mb - 1g download daily.

Hope that helps someone! I've used HostMonster also but they were pretty much the exact same as HostGator, but I liked HGator a little more.

Final Choice: Go with any of the above except GoDaddy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice summary. I suppose that will be useful for the people who consider them as potential providers.
    BTW are you still with all of them?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice set of short reviews. Looks like you were pretty lucky in your hosting choices.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im only with Media Temple right now. I liked SliceHost the most, but it was a bit of work for my first VPS, I think Ill go back to them when I have time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same opinion with you regarding GoDaddy's Admin panel. It's really crap and I have come across many reviews also complaining their CPanel. But their sitebuilder is good though, much better compared to others.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.