SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stripe down the edge, and should I add copyright notice?

I'm beginning a site for one of my choir directors:

http://dougkh.nfshost.com/igv-draft/index.html

It's my first time using the repeating background image idea from "Build Your Website the Right Way". The green gradient behind the nav links is a small .png with a "repeat-y" rule, which currently stops below the padding for the last link.

I'd like the gradient to continue down to the end of the main content. I could give it a fixed length, but I'd like to know if there's a way to tie its length to that of the text to its right, as the visitor scrolls down.

Also, this is the first site I've done for a business, with a masthead (and photos to come) by the owner. As I looked at it this morning, I thought I should suggest adding a copyright footer, though I know he has implicit copyright anyway. I haven't found a rule about that. What would you do?

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to make the background image span the entire height of the page (the height of the text) you'll need to expand the div that the navigation is in. I've attached a screenshot of your website with each of the divs outlined in blue so you can see why your background is not going all the way to the bottom.

As for the copyright, you don't need to include it (legally) as it's implied but I always do as it makes the website appear a bit more polished and professional.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    In order to make the background image span the entire height of the page (the height of the text) you'll need to expand the div that the navigation is in. I've attached a screenshot of your website with each of the divs outlined in blue so you can see why your background is not going all the way to the bottom.

As for the copyright, you don't need to include it (legally) as it's implied but I always do as it makes the website appear a bit more polished and professional.
    You stole my thunder. Hyperbolik is correct on both points.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your suggestions. I've set the div containing the menu to 700 px, which does the job for now.

I found a technique that looks like it does what I have in mind, ie, makes the menu div appear to lengthen or shorten with the amount of text in the adjacent div. I haven't tried it yet, because I don't have graphics software that I can use to make an image from scratch (I've just been cropping and resizing what others send me).

Faux Columns - A List Apart
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/

Basically, the author says to make a strip with different colors that becomes the repeated-y background image for the block containing the columnar divs. I could make the gradient so that it would appear under the transparent menu div, and then white the rest of the way across. I plan to get something like Photoshop Elements next week, so I'll see how that works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hyperbolik covered it well with this one.

-J

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody I did a site for eecently thought that if there wan't a copyright notice, anybody could just rip off her work. That's obviously not the case - copyright notices are usually just reminders of the law - but it's often easier simply to put one in that explain that, I think.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its always best to put a copyright into a website, that's my belief.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you put a copyright notice on the page then those who are ignorant of the law can't even try to use that ignorance as an excuse.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">