SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless websites-provide useless info

Chances are 99.99% of the websites we visited are either useless or provide info that we don't need or no interest and asking for some kind of money.

Agree?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    disagree
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this a question we should ask google to get a better answer. But most websites out there usually contains useful information, because google doesn't exactly list useless websites at the top.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally disagree... besides, even with just browsing the Internet you will find 99.9% interesting websites, like I just found one a few moments ago, about a company named Puget who were able to submerge PC in mineral oil and the PC still works.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If most of the sites you visit are useless, that means you're visiting the wrong sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree that there are a huge number of websites that are not useful. It's certainly nowhere near 99.99%, though. But I would guess it is well over 50%.

Some websites are scrapes of good sites, some are simply poorly written made-for-adsense sites, others have may have good intentions but simply are outclassed by other sites on their particular topic.

Over time, we have found that attempts to have humans determine the best sites (Yahoo originally did and DMOZ still attempts to do) have failed because of the size and scope of the job.

By and large, the algorithms of the major search engines do a fairly good job at determining the relative value of the websites. What does it matter if 90% of all websites are of little value if 90% of the top search results provide useful websites? I am sure that the algorithms will continue to get better and better. At some point, the worthless websites will be relegated to sitting on a server with little or no human traffic, other than those people who are specifically looking for the sites.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Moon View Post
    I will agree that there are a huge number of websites that are not useful. It's certainly nowhere near 99.99%, though. But I would guess it is well over 50%.
    minor correction: 90% of everything is crap

this is Sturgeon's law

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every site has a use to someone probably.
    JaguarPC.com
    Over 10 Years of Web Hosting Experience
    Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers and More

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    minor correction: 90% of everything is crap

this is Sturgeon's law
    What a profoundly accurate statement in terms of everything in general, but when it comes to browsing the web I find that is not the case for two reasons. The first of these being that when I search for a website, I am very specific in what I require and therefore I end up with a positive ratio of results. Secondly I use the website StumbleUpon to find useful websites, and looking at the ratio of thumbs up against thumbs down I have a clear thumbs up majority (signifying usefulness or enjoyment or gain from visiting that page) against the negative.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Green Moon that over the period, with improved algorithm, the useless sites will be relegated in last pages of search query and will have almost no human traffic.

However, talking in percentage terms is not much value as the opinion will differ vastly from person to person.

Morever, even if 10% sites, at bare minimum, are useful than still net will be wonderful place to learn, share and entertain. Compare it to film industry, most of the films are flop at box-office but still all of us entertain ourselves with a few really good ones.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wineinusa View Post
    Chances are 99.99% of the websites we visited are either useless or provide info that we don't need or no interest and asking for some kind of money.

Agree?
    Disagree - Because so far the percentage for me to visit the useful website is higher than useless one.
    Money4iInvest - Useful Resources To Pursue Happiness
    Free Wallpaper - To download Selected Wallpaper
    iValueNews - Personal Financial Blog