SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie needs advice on eBusiness questions!

Hey all, and thank you in advance for ANY advice you may have! and apologies for the length of this post...

I am very new to web design (I have read sitepoint's "Build your own website the right way...", I've been exploring Dreamweaver, and I have been benchmarking the code of a lot of many successful webstores in my industry...).

I have a ton of questions, but I'll ask only a few here:

Background: My future website will sell products that I pull from my bricks and motar business. I must have a shopping cart that is able to sinc up inventory with my POS (point of sale) equipment (I have not purchased any yet). This POS must also sinc up with Quickbooks accounting software. I have already looked at the Intuit / quickbooks / Homestead POS system and website package they offer, but there seems to be a ton of technical limitations to their seemingly high priced package deal.

Question #1: please recommend your favorite carts that are compatitble with the Quickbooks POS system. Or a cart and non quickbooks POS systems that are compatible with the Quickbooks accounting software...

Question #2: Who would you recommend for Hosting and why? SSL security?

Question #3: Any recommended consultants on setting up a high quality webstore.

Thank you all very very much!!!

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to SitePoint!

It appears that you have a few options (just did a quick Google search):

I'm not aware of any standalone shopping cart that has built in capabilities to sync with QuickBooks. However, if QuickBooks provides you with an API then you could simply interface the results of your ecommerce store with QuickBooks - although you would have to write the code yourself. Essentially that is what the last 3 links I posted will do for you.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank, greatly appreciated. I'll probably go ahead and do the programming manually. I don't know why the Intuit sales people didn't tell me about this. I asked them the same exact questions I posted above, and they never mentioned a thing about it?

If I use that sync program, will I be able to have my cart in my own domain? That was an issue I had with using Homestead as my storefront... I would have a really weird domain name like "stores.surfinglbi dot com/StoreFront dot bok". I've heard that this can have an adverse effect on page rankings, various other SEO issues, and other issues dealing with customer interfacing and technology support...

Basically, I want to have a stand alone webstore.... "www dot mystore dot com"...

Thanks again!

bmart1

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmart1 View Post
    Thank, greatly appreciated. I'll probably go ahead and do the programming manually. I don't know why the Intuit sales people didn't tell me about this. I asked them the same exact questions I posted above, and they never mentioned a thing about it?
    I don't know about Intuit and their point of sales, but I assume that they are more used to answer questions about physical points of sales that virtual. It is the only reason that I can think of. Or maybe the guy simply didn't remember about the API.

Regarding the hosting, there are plenty of companies that do offer a good service. From the top of my head...

1&1

Dreamhost (although they have some connection problems last year. It wasn't their fault. They are based in California and there was one or two problems in the area. They are solving this)

Amen

any other names that come to my head are Spanish, but these are international, so you may want to try those.

Regarding SSL, of course! My suggestion is that you use a shared hosting first and buy the certificate from the hosting provider (which you will also share with others and therefore it will be cheaper). You see, if you want to use your own particular SSL, you will need to contract a dedicated server so the IP belongs to you and no one else in order to be able to install it.

As for SEO, you are correct. Plus if you have your own domain, it will look more professional to your public.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have just read that MIVA merchant 5 does have a facility to export the data to quickbooks (docs.mivamerchant.com - faqs)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya. You should do google-search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Malona! This also a great lead!

I did a google search, but I must not have put the best keywords in?! My searches definitely did not come up with much useful info.

Good thing there are folks like you all to help out those that are helplessly unfamiliar with eCommerce/web development!