SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question computer maintenance? dedust, defrag ect.. ?

I just built a new computer
    spec:
    asus deluxe mobo
    intel quad core 2.5 ghz
    two sticks of ddr3 ram
    geforce graphics card
    fatality soundblaster
    1 TB hdd
    hyper tower
    pioneer optical drive

I have had it up and running for a few months now. I have only done one defragmentation. I have nod32 installed and spybot s&d. I have installed windows xp 64bit and windows vista. I only use vista for games (or a game which I rarely play) because it has the latest directx which XP doesnt support so I been told.. I mainly use Windows XP 64bit..

My question is what should I do to keep my computer at its best possible peek? How frequently should I disk defrag, error check? I dedusted it last weekend. Can someone recommended a good dedusting kit?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A $4 can of compressed air from your favorite office supply store is plenty.

If you were to run Vista full time you wouldn't have to worry about defrag, since it takes care of that for you in the background when the system is mostly idle.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Software-wise, I install and regularly run CCleaner on all of the computers that I manage. It's free, and does a pretty good job of clearing out all the junk files, quickly, and I trust its registry cleaner too (in that it's never killed anything).
    Learn all about diamonds,
    Check out some period-drama movies and TV series,
    Or get festive with The Wonder of Christmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use a can of compressed air for your computer, depending on your case and position of your computer dust usually isnt an issue (it usually collects more on the floor) I usually take mine outside and just hit it all over with compress air (gets the dust outside, instead of just moving it from the computer back to the room)

Defragging isnt requried in Vista, it does it automatically.

Personally i suggest un-installing NOD32 and going for Avast or AVG. I used NOD32 and i thought it offered a lack of protection.. thats personal opinion of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Ccleaner software to clean my registry, cache, files in recyclebin etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am via Ccleaner software in the direction of fresh my registry, files in recycle bin etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend running defragment once every week, at the least.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ccleaner is definitely one of the better MS maintenance utilities. As for the Vista Defrag, I tend to disable the automatic defrag or set it to run in the middle of the night. My default it runs every Wednesday morning and cause a noticable hit to your speed when it does.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyspam View Post
    Personally i suggest un-installing NOD32 and going for Avast or AVG. I used NOD32 and i thought it offered a lack of protection.. thats personal opinion of course.
    NOD32 is actually one of the best paid anti-virus that there is and is therefore one of the few that is worth paying for since it works way better than any of the free ones whereas the free ones are about as good as most of the rest. That isn't my personal opinion - it is what many the independent tests actually show.

For example http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ has NOD32 at position 5 and the paid version of AVG at 7. Most of the magazine reviews I have seen usually have NOD32 in the top 3.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use avira antivirus to run scan for my computer, I also disk check and defrag every week or two. Delete some unnecessary files, temp files and some cookies before I defrag or diskchk...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there a way to turn off a hard drive that isnt used in windows xp? I noticed Vista does this automatically.

Thanks for the tips guys so far nothing is really new to me except for defragging more often and I need to buy some air spray I used to get this stuff but have started to use my vacuum.