SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Earth Hour - Vote Earth or Global Warming?

Earth Hour - sounds familiar to you?

Earth Hour is a global effort to remind governments, organizations, businesses and public about global warming; and what they can do to stop it.

Earth Hour is targeting 1 billion votes from around the world, which will be presented to world leaders at the 2009 UN Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark this coming December. This meeting will formalize a new global deal for climate change, replacing the Kyoto Protocol.

How to vote? Simply switch off your lights for one hour to vote for Earth; or leave them on to vote for global warming.

When to vote? Saturday, March 28th, 2009 between 8:30PM-9:30PM.

For further information, please visit Earth Hour.
    Last edited by r937; Mar 17, 2009 at 03:19. Reason: removed advertisement
    Do You 8vertise?
    Do You IanKree.com-To Wake Your Financial Genius Up

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does sound familiar to me. It also sounds like a rather pathetic token effort. I think it probably does more damage than good, by giving people the chance to feel good about "doing something for the environment". They will then move back to what they were doing before rather than make a real difference.

Cynical, yes, but I do think it's pointless. "Raising awareness" has its limits - people are aware to the point of being sick of it.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mysticism of global warming allegedly caused by humans never ceases to just amaze and amuse me. The loops people jump through for beliefs. Oh my.

If you want to change how humans treat the planet start in your own backyard with real efforts, not tokens of fake symbolism that is forgotten as soon as the hour of self-righteous mushiness is over.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, most people would probably take part but once you turn your back they'll probably get back to their old ways. Change starts from within, and if we really want to experience some change, lets start with ourselves. There's no need to wait for further instructions from a higher authority, let's start looking clearer around us, and let's do something about what we know is amiss. Let's start to make a difference now, all the efforts return to the ocean sooner or later.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    The mysticism of global warming allegedly caused by humans never ceases to just amaze and amuse me.
    global warming caused by human beings is a fact

see http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/extremeice/

we are well past the point of using words like "allegedly"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Netherlands we also got that hours ist organized by wwnf isnt it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
    Yes, most people would probably take part but once you turn your back they'll probably get back to their old ways. Change starts from within, and if we really want to experience some change, lets start with ourselves. There's no need to wait for further instructions from a higher authority, let's start looking clearer around us, and let's do something about what we know is amiss. Let's start to make a difference now, all the efforts return to the ocean sooner or later.
    I agree with this. Any rational human would not spoil what we have. We have started here where we live on this little island by taking out exotic vegetation and turning the landscapes into native habitats. Taking out lawns with grass that require endless water and fertilizer and poison that runs down into the ground water. Native plants that are adapted to the specific climate, meaning that they can thrive with only the water mother nature provides after the initial thirst after the installation. This also has the benefit that the place looks like itself and not some tropical island dream that people like to install mindlessly.

Not using materials in building that is poisoned by chemicals, not running the air conditioner when it is cool enough outside. Having enough tall trees around the home so that the shade provides a drop in temperature all by itself (I live in Florida, warm climate). Using less of soaps and instead natural cleaning products like soda and vinegar.

There are a lot of things we can do if we only pay attention. There is no need for big brother to tell us, just think about it on your own and take care in the many little ways that is open to you. The mindset has to change, the earth is not a garbage pit. One hour of tokenism is not going to change things.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    global warming caused by human beings is a fact

see http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/extremeice/

we are well past the point of using words like "allegedly"
    First off, PBS is the most liberal source you can quote Agenda here.

I saw the program also, it is true that there is warming, but there is no proof that this is not a natural temperature swing. I have seen all the fraudulent and sloppy numbers that are thrown about as well, so far I have not seen proof that man is responsible
    Ulrike

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you will sing a different tune when your island is under water

meanwhile, just keep claiming that there is no proof, we have nothing to worry about, carry on doing what you're doing, mother earth will be just fine

frankly, it is that type of attitude that is the most pernicious threat to our future
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    you will sing a different tune when your island is under water

meanwhile, just keep claiming that there is no proof, we have nothing to worry about, carry on doing what you're doing, mother earth will be just fine

frankly, it is that type of attitude that is the most pernicious threat to our future
    That is what the preachers of this tend to say. The threat is never far behind Fear is the tool that is used to hamper human activity and progress. Global social equalization is behind this. And you see how my wording has to tiptoe around what I really would like to say.

I do not buy into this mass hysteria whipped up by the social engineers.
    Ulrike

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Global warming, Holocaust, AIDS, they are all just myths right?
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I tell you what I will do, I will turn my lights off for an hour and go for a drive in my 4.0L 4x4 through the countryside for an hour instead
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    I tell you what I will do, I will turn my lights off for an hour and go for a drive in my 4.0L 4x4 through the countryside for an hour instead
    Hey MIke, have a seat for me?
    Ulrike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what global warming? its freezing today!
    AustraliaWorks - www.australiaworks.com.au
    Australian Job Discussion Forums with Job Interview Questions,
    Resume Tips, Career Advice and Job Tips

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post

Why is the Holocaust and AIDS included suddenly?

I never said that there is not warming, that has been documented. I refute the idea that it is man made. We are coming out of the little ice age right now, it is natural that the temperatures will rise.

A lot of scientists who claim that there is man made warming get their funding from agenda driven governments who like nothing better than to get more control over the "evil" producers that they claim are at fault. Hysteria of the worst kind. Convince the little guys who are the bureaucrat's power base and you have lifelong employment and power.

Scientist who oppose this view are cut off from funding and were in some cases physically assaulted by environmentalists, a very radical left leaning organization.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dekree2 View Post
    How to vote? Simply switch off your lights for one hour to vote for Earth; or leave them on to vote for global warming.
    I'm sorry but that just seems so trite. Why don't we do something of real and lasting value (like coming up with real alternative fuels)? I'm not against conserving, all for it. We should all be good stewards of our environments. But come on?

oh and I do agree with Datura.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ulrike

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what the preachers of this tend to say. The threat is never far behind Fear is the tool that is used to hamper human activity and progress. Global social equalization is behind this. And you see how my wording has to tiptoe around what I really would like to say.

I do not buy into this mass hysteria whipped up by the social engineers.
    I think I know what you are saying, feel free to PM me if ya want, maybe we can discuss this.

Why is the Holocaust and AIDS included suddenly?
    Yeah really, quite a big leap there. Maybe she does not support the troops either, huh, huh?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if I am asleep during the time will my lights and other electronic gear be turned off. I have work to be done, otherwise!
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    I think I know what you are saying, feel free to PM me if ya want, maybe we can discuss this.

Yeah really, quite a big leap there. Maybe she does not support the troops either, huh, huh?
    I was not implying that SHE believed that. There are a lot of people that think those are not real or never really happened. I was implying that denying the existance of global warming is similar to how others deny the existence of those other things; at least in my point of view.
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not implying that SHE believed that. There are a lot of people that think those are not real or never really happened. I was implying that denying the existance of global warming is similar to how others deny the existence of those other things; at least in my point of view.
    I knew the twist of course, but it is not an equal comparison. AIDS is a fact and so is the Holocaust, but man made global warming is not. Not good to use straw men in a discussion
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue at best is so contentious that I am not sure I can take sides.

Besides, citing a article picked arbitrarily from the web to make your case is pointless. For every article that denies human-induced global warming, there are dozen others that maintain it is as real as say, for example, AIDS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew the twist of course, but it is not an equal comparison. AIDS is a fact and so is the Holocaust, but man made global warming is not. Not good to use straw men in a discussion
    OK I will give you that but maybe this is a better example. The challenger exploded because the weather was too cold, the engineers told the managers that morning that the weather was too cold and that might cause the o-rings to fail. The managers asked for proof, there was not any proof yet, so they launched anyways and the o-rings failed, the challenger exploded and people died. My point is that sometimes denying responsibility until you have the proof, can be too late.
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I will give you that but maybe this is a better example. The challenger exploded because the weather was too cold, the engineers told the managers that morning that the weather was too cold and that might cause the o-rings to fail. The managers asked for proof, there was not any proof yet, so they launched anyways and the o-rings failed, the challenger exploded and people died. My point is that sometimes denying responsibility until you have the proof, can be too late.
    Your example is not a bad one. But the warning was given with actual knowledge behind it.

The man made global warming crowd on the other hand has very wide reaching social agendas underlying their demands. If they succeed with their drive, the world will become a place where all of us will be very poor and starving, but we will be very equal. This agenda is nothing but fear mongering to destroy capitalism and industrial development to drive us back to the age of the mud huts.
    Ulrike

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Colombian Enterprise to Endeavor for the Discovery of Atlantis... and all Challengers shall be destroyed

http://troolyunbelievable.blogspot.c...3_archive.html