SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vps or shared hosting?

Hi, is anyone know the advantage of VPS hosting vs shared hosting? I found a cheap VPS plan at in2net. I can get 15G space, 200G bandwidth and 256 RAM for $9.95 a month. My site starts getting a lot of users, it might be an issue with shared hosting. My site also hosts a forum, and currently has 1000 unique visitors and 8000 pageviews daily. Sometime the forum has 30-50 concurrent members.

So, I'm just wondering in my case, wihch one would you choose, VPS or shared hosting? since they are the same price. I don't know how to manage servers, but my friend has a unmanaged server at theplanet, and he hasn't managed the server at all since he had it. So, if a VPS host comes with all the scripts installed, in this case, it doesn't require any management, am I right?

oh, one more quesiton, is the plesk control panel works like whm panel? where each client has his own control panel?

Sorry about my bad grammar, hope all you understand.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With a VPS you have a virtual server where you can run just about anything you want. The real server is perhaps shared with several other VPS but the way it is configured makes it look like you are the only one on the server.

With shared hosting you share the server with between 20 and 1000 other accounts and are limited in what you can install.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Zealot webhost.uk.net's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with VPS you get root access ..that help you to get SSH access to modify things as per your need ...which is not possible on shared account.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VPS allows you to configure the server as per your needs, say like the mysql connections, emails limit, domains limit etc etc. You need any additional software for your domains, you have the privilege to install that too.
    ------------
    hzSari | HostingZoom.com
    ModVPS.com | ResellerZoom.com
    Power Speed Reliability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If depends on what type of site you're looking to run, if it's a small site, you shouldn't have any problem running on a shared hosting, if it's larger, then, a VPS would be a nice upgrade, it gives you more room to grow and expand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VPS is the meaning of freedom and Independence. You can use all source you have offred in full.
    I suppose that is the main advantage

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wihch one would you choose, VPS or shared hosting?
    For starting it is better to get shared package unless you need lots of system resources. Upgrade is never too late. You might need to choose the right hosting company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The VPS offering mentioned in you thread is not realistic and refers to overselling (I didn't expect this word to be used in VPS Hosting...). If you get a virtual private server you will be able to customize web hosting environment.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Firstly, you'll not get 30-50 members online at once in 256MB of RAM - well, you might, but they'll all quickly leave as the forum will be completely unusable.

Secondly, the fact that your friend has an un-managed server and does nothing to it, is a bad thing, not a good thing. It could quite easily be getting used for allsorts right now and if he's not keeping an eye on it, he'll never know.

For 30-50 users online at once, a good quality shared host should be fine - if you go for one of the budget oversellers though, you'll likely be kicked off quite quickly.

Thanks,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys, thanks for the input, after reading all your comments, i think i'll stay with my current host for a while, it's quite expensive thou. -- if anyone knows a good reliable affordable vps host, please leave comments here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom0121 View Post
    guys, thanks for the input, after reading all your comments, i think i'll stay with my current host for a while, it's quite expensive thou. -- if anyone knows a good reliable affordable vps host, please leave comments here.
    What's your budget? Control Panel? Managed or Unmanaged?

- Daniel
    Managed VPS - tmzVPS.com - Florida, US/Los Angeles, US/UK
    Locations INSTANT Setup - cPanel/WHM Included Fully Managed &
    Unmanaged VPS's Adult Allowed! Paypal, Alert Pay, Liberty Reserve,
    2CheckOut, Google Checkout & Credit Cards Accepted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have no experience managing a server, stay away from an unmanaged VPS or you will be in for a world of pain. You should at least go fit a semi-managed provider and some sort of a control panel such as cPanel/DirectAdmin. You can maybe find a Semi-Managed VPS + cPanel for right arond $18.00 or so if you look in the right places.
    Aquarius Storage - Stop Searching, Start Hosting
    Fast & Reliable Shared/Reseller/VPS Hosting
    http://www.aquariusstorage.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from an unmanaged VPS unless you really know how to manage it. Don't be in a rush to upgrade oing that can only cause you to waste money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I believe he will be able to offer managment for the VPSA once it is needed. Of cource that is paid service but at the same time that would save the money if you use managed VPS.
    But if there is no reason to switch to the VPS better say on the shared account
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting