SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Comparison Between Dot Com and Dot Net

Hi there your suggestion is needed immediately. Very recently (a week ago) I bought this domain (dot net TLD) with a search volume (exact that is) of about 14000 according to Google. The dot com of the domain is a Premier Domain. Let me know what is the stature of this dot net domain. Can it be considered a Premier Domain outright or some other factors that need to add to it? Your feedback is needed ASAP. Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Exact Search Volume Of 45000

Hi, I am still not sure why a phrase with an exact search volume of about 45000 is yet to be registered as a domain. What's gone wrong here? Any answers. And doubly surprising is the fact that the dot net TLD of another domain (exact search volume of over 60000) is still virgin. What do I do now, register or leave? And what are the chances that it can sell for a good money? If at all how much money? Your answers please. Thanks.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    what does "exact search volume" mean?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

That is the Google Keyword Tool that we use to check for 'Broad', 'Phrase', 'Exact' search etc. Have I gone mad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the same (by prefix) domain names I suppose that COM will be more valued by the domainers to NET domain name.
    That is my opinion also

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely on the right track in trying to find domain names that are an exact match to keyword phrases that have a high number of exact search monthly searches in Google.

I personally wouldn't spend too much on the .net unless I had the .com also.

You should try out the type in traffic tool as it uses real time data from Google to find domain names that match exactly to keyword phrases with search traffic in Google.
    Find Keyword Domain Names easily at DomainSuperstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't get caught up in the terminology. This is a domain that could have value on the resale market or developed.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless a significant fraction of your user base will be typing in the URL themselves it isn't going to make any difference whether it ends with .com or .net
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find that .com .net and .org seem to have pretty equal public awareness. They are the three "primary" top level domains which are considered by many as the most valuable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dotcom or dotnet is important at the beginning. but once your site is popular it becomes immaterial.
    Register in Universal Health Forum // Hirsutism
    Submit in PR3 directory (globeinfosystem.com)

SitePoint Enthusiast Gerald Winter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a premier domain?
    Gerald Winter
    Tips from Mr Bigcheck to make your check Bigger
    Save money on all inclusive vacation packages

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dotcom or dotnet is important at the beginning. but once your site is popular it becomes immaterial.
    Not true. Once your site becomes very popular it becomes even more important because if you have a .net then you will likely lose a lot of repeat traffic to people that type in the .com hoping to return to your site (unless of course you do the smart thing and own the .com and redirect it to the .net although not sure why anyone would own both and make the .net the main domain unless they couldn't get the .com until much later).
    Find Keyword Domain Names easily at DomainSuperstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeljonathan View Post
    Once your site becomes very popular it becomes even more important because if you have a net then you will likely lose a lot of repeat traffic to people that type in the com hoping to return to your site (unless of course you do the smart thing and own the com and redirect it to the net although not sure why anyone would own both and make the net the main domain unless they couldn't get the com until much later).
    Agree with joeljonathan.

You're silly not to register the dot com domain unless somebody has it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the .com is premium domain, it surely adds value if you get the .net version.

Moreover, if you don't get much direct traffic, then .net or .com doesn't make any difference.
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I think you are pretty much wrong, the majority of people who browse the web understand the top three domains (COM, NET, ORG) equally and they are smart enough not to default to .com anymore. Besides the majority of people who are that untrained in domain structure as the statistics show tend to type domains into Google or just the name of the place they look for in Google and end up finding the correct site that way. All of these comments about you will lose traffic if you use a .net in opposition to a .com are just plain misguided and I have yet to see any kind of evidence to support what has been said (that does not date back to the late 90's).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only 14k searches per month, I wouldn't exactly call the .net a premium name but perhaps you could get a couple thousand for it from the right buyer under the right market conditions. Dot com is still king as so many people will go to a dot com even when the advertised URL is dot org or dot net.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jervin69 View Post
    Dot com is still king as so many people will go to a dot com even when the advertised URL is dot org or dot net.
    Do you have any evidence to support that? As has already been said - most people type the name (without the TLD) in a search engine and find the right site regardless of the TLD. It is many years since the browser address bar automatically added .com to the end of the name typed if you left it off, these days it defaults to using the default search engine and lists ALL the possible sites so you can select the right one.
    Stephen J Chapman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of our ex vice president knowing that the site was factcheck.org but he said factcheck.com on TV and sent a flurry of traffic. The bottom line is that so many people have dot com engrained in their head. When people tell me to go to a .org or .net site, most of the time, I instinctively type .com in the address bar and go to the wrong site.

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/06...consequen.html

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jervin69 View Post
    Here's an example of our ex vice president knowing that the site was factcheck.org but he said factcheck.com on TV and sent a flurry of traffic. The bottom line is that so many people have dot com engrained in their head. When people tell me to go to a .org or .net site, most of the time, I instinctively type .com in the address bar and go to the wrong site.
    That isn't proof that everyone does it. There are more than two people in the world. Two isn't anywhere near enough for a meaningful sample size.
    Stephen J Chapman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you show me proof that everyone doesn't do it then? I look forward to viewing your data.

I didn't state "everyone" does it. I said "many" people do it. This is obviously a forum filled with opinions.

A few of my friends own dot coms with no real keyword value for type ins but they have them parked. Big brands are using dot orgs and dot nets and they get a good amount of bleed traffic of people going to the dot com instead of the brand.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most traffic comes from clicking a link somewhere, either a search result or a forum post or sig, or from an ad, or ??? most of the time many people never even pay attention to the url.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vernon-oliver View Post
    I think most traffic comes from clicking a link somewhere, either a search result or a forum post or sig, or from an ad, or ??? most of the time many people never even pay attention to the url.
    I agree. If you look at the stats for any site you'd generally find traffic that doesn't have a referrer is just about always less than 40% and often less than 10%. Given that where there is a referrer the person has arrived by clicking a link on another site (often a search results page) and that where there is no referrer they may have the field turned off to maintain their privacy or might have the page bookmarked, that leaves a relatively small percentage at most who are typing in the address directly.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

dotcom becoz its easy to remember and everybody just type's the name and hit Ctrl+Enter which redirects to dotcom domain. So dotcom is better than dotnet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Google and other search engines it does not matter what TLD

But expert suggest to keep COM
    Because we do have a habit to use keyboard short cuts and often we write online domain name and hit ctrl+enter key it goes to COM

In this condition if you have a NET tld your visitor goes anywhere by mistake.

So this is suggested to use a com
    My Websites Stone,
    Hotel, Jewelry, Hotels DIR, Web Design Websites.