SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that its not easy to edit, I may be a miserable editor. But I would like the chance to try. What I am not willing to do is take on a catagory I am not interested in just in the hopes of getting into the one I want. I just feel like the reason DMOZ is lacking could in part be traced to their stringent policies on new editors. But then what do I know.
    Shane M

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "the reason DMOZ is lacking could in part be traced to their stringent policies on new editors.."

That and the dinosaur/ostrich like outlook of many senior editors.

DMOZ currently has over 1,000,000 unreviewed and that is going up by thousands per day, yet they refuse editors for such things as not having a period at the end of a sentence, and they fire editors that are in any way critical of the mess that ODP has become.

Even though the little thing at the bottom says something like 49,000 editors - that is far from true. That number is the number of ALL the editors that have ever logged in at DMOZ. The current number of really active is supposedly around 8,000 - but the vast majority of those have logged in just once or twice, or only edit a few hours a month. "Active" editors, by the ODP definition, includes anyone that has logged in once during the past four months. I would guess that the actual number of really active editors is less than 300.

Some categories have backlogs of over 2 YEARS - some submissions go back to 1999. Currently in the Business section there are almost as many unreviewed as there are listings - hundreds of thousands.
    Yet ODP "management" has a tendency to not promote, or not accept editors that don't follow policies that were set down in stone years ago when DMOZ was 1/50th the size it is now. I have seen eager editors turned down for reason so petty that it borders on the rediculous - yet the category they applied for has not been edited since early 2000.

ODP only has two paid staff - but many of the senior "volunteers" have become extremely protective of their own personal fiefdoms. Editors get fired at the drop of a hat for being critical of ODP policies, or of current policies, yet they allow such things as a Scientology fanatic "loading" and including only biased sites to go on for years, despite numerous complaints.

Netscape is between a rock and a hard spot on ODP - I am sure they can see that it is imploding, but due to the original charter they cannot make any money off of it - they have to keep it free. Thus they have reduced the number of paid staff to almost nothing, and the unpaid editors have pretty much a free reign over what goes on.
    As the backlog gets worse and worse, the listings get more and more irrelevant - some categories are so bad that it is pretty much pointless to even submit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us not forget the almighty reign of the corrupt meta-editors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Wohoo Finally in dmoz!!

Originally posted by Archbob
    As for yahoo, well, I don't have the money and seeing how my site isn't e-commerce, it probably isn't worth it.
    My old framed site I "suggested" it at Yahoo and was listed in 3 days, no $$$

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Archbob - only too true.

While the vast majority of low and mid level editors, and even most Meta's are honest, there is definately an "inside cadre" of Meta's with less than pure motives. But, IMO, the worst thing is just sheer incompetence - and there is plenty of that in the upper echelons.
    I guess for many of them, DMOZ is the only place they have ever gotten up the ladder, and so defending themselves and their turf at the expense of ODP has become second nature - even if they don't get paid for it.

I have no clue what AOL/Netscape might do with ODP in the future, but it has become an Albatross around their neck. As the unreviewed pile up into the millions, and fewer and fewer editors apply or stay around long ODP's viability is going the way of Yahoo's directory - gradually edging towards irrelevance.
    Last edited by WindSun; Jun 8, 2002 at 20:15.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you may be interested to read through the following open discussion board set up by DMOZ editors:

Becoming an Editor

It should go a long way to answering some of the questions and views posted in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 months if that

i must say, it didnt take any time at all for me to get a DMOZ listing. from the time i submitted, till it was there, was about 6-7 weeks.

I suppose it was because my somain was a .org (info sites get listed quicker than business domains e.g. .com) i submitted once and that was it.

so i suggest that if you want to get a listing in DMOZ fast, and are looking for domain for your site (non profit) get a .org domain.

chris