SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wohoo Finally in dmoz!!

Yes, my freebies site is finally in dmoz in the free stuff : mailing listing category, someone actually decided to add it! Yeah, more pagerank for me!! After a year of begging, I'm finally in and I'm in looksmart too. As for yahoo, well, I don't have the money and seeing how my site isn't e-commerce, it probably isn't worth it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and good luck.
    Find romance at The Singles Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Congrats to you Archbob...I know you wanted in for some time now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is indeed a great obstacle overcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm still waiting... how long did it take for you to be added?

Did you keep re-submitting, or did you just submit once?

:)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats... !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dragonhawk
    And I'm still waiting... how long did it take for you to be added?

Did you keep re-submitting, or did you just submit once?
    A year and many submissions and contacting some other editors. The finally becoming a dmoz editor myself, adding my site and petitioning it to be moved to a category where it fits and contacting the editor.

It was a hard task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob

A year and many submissions and contacting some other editors. The finally becoming a dmoz editor myself, adding my site and petitioning it to be moved to a category where it fits and contacting the editor.

It was a hard task.
    Are you saying that the only way to have your site listed is to become an editor? I was thinking about that but then I thought that would be wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it isn't. But alot of category editors are territorial and won't add your site if it competes with their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bummer.

Is there a lot of work becoming an editor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, there isn't all that much work, but you will get rejected with any category that has more than 10 links in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I guess I'll be applying to be an editor soon. Btw, do you get an email when your link is added to dmoz?

if you don't how would you know if you're in there already?

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob
    No, it isn't. But alot of category editors are territorial and won't add your site if it competes with their own.
    That is the problem with human edited directories...

DMOZ should only let people who dont run web sites in their categories manage the listings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, but of course, there is no way to check so corruption will always exist in dmoz.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as the French say..."but of course"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A categorey doesn't have to have under 10 listings for you to become an editor. I became the editor of my category with about 20 listings in it already when I took it over, although that was a year and a half ago.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Excellent.

I thought that I was just having a hard tome of it after trying for the past five months with no success. I was also thinking of becoming an editor simply to try and get us included.

I would not be territorial!

In fact we do not have many competitors and I would have to list most of them (the rules require submitting three other sites) in order to be considered as an editor.

I guess I will have to keep trying. Still, it is good to hear that some do succeed.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dmoz is kinda odd, I applied to be editor of a catagory that had no editor at all. I received an email from them the next day saying it had too many links for a new editor. My question is if it had too many links for a new editor, how are you going to fill it? Seems a newbee is better than a nowbody to me. Any how the auto responder politley asked that I apply to a catagory with less than 100 links. The only other catagory I was interested in has 157 links, and no current editor. Probably turn me down for that one too.
    Last edited by Shane M; May 24, 2002 at 15:49.
    Shane M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear that many editors are "territorial" and such. I don't use it that much, but it's a good project in theory, and it's too bad that people have to be ruining it like that.

As for applying to become an editor, I applied about a month ago, and was rejected for no apparent reason. I applied to be the editor of the category for my town (which has only 19 links in it, several of which are defunct), stated that I was interested in maintaining a good directory of any websites pertaining to my town, and included links to several good sites that weren't listed. A week or two later, I received a rejection notice from some Yahoo address with no reviewer comments, only the generic message, listing possible reasons (none of which applied to me). Needless to say, I was definitely annoyed, and in fact angry, at the (lack of) response.

I'm going to try applying again, to see if I'll get a more sane reviewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, many of the links in inactive categories are no good. There's no help for dmoz unless they can shape up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shane M
    dmoz is kinda odd, I applied to be editor of a catagory that had no editor at all. I received an email from them the next day saying it had too many links for a new editor...
    They want to test you out in a little cat first. To see if they can trust you. I was approved to a category with five links or so.

Congrats, Archbob!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would let you know that the advice about offering to become an editor for a small category first and then move to a bigger category would seem to be the best route.

I have just been accepted as an editor and have been busy getting my new section sorted out. You would not believe how much junk is submitted to a section that really should be put somewhere else, if anywhere at all. Anyway, you have got to wait a while before they will consider moving an editor of a small section up to a bigger category. They look at your general performance, the number of edits you have done and the quality of those edits before they decide.

I would really like to get started on my parent category but I will have to wait. But then again, I am not sure if I want to be the editor. Apparently it has 900+ sites waiting to be included and you can bet that many of the sites already included will need to be shifted and new sub-categories created.

My advice to people who gripe about DMOZ...become an editor and help the situation. You might just enjoy it!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to help DMOZ. Unfortunately I think they adhere a little too much to the rule about new editors. As i said before it seems to me any editor is better than no editor. If the catagory is too large for a new editor and has been vacant a long time it seems apperant to me that no existing editor wants the catagory. So then what do you do? I say take the new editor, if he sucks or cant do it, fire him. Just because your a new editor does not mean you wont be good at it. If they want to clear the back log of sites waiting to be included allow new editors in. Seems simple to me. Also how do they choose new editors. All i saw was that a senior editor does it. Are they from the same catagory? What if the editor does not want competiton? What if they are the problem? Seems they should have a editor of another catagory with no interest in the catagory approve or dissapprove the new editors. That would make it more fair in MHO. But then maybe thats what they do, i dont know. Does any one else?
    Shane M

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shane,

I agree with you that under the circumstances any editor might be better than no editor, but I am already finding out that editing the site is actually a lot more complicated than at first imagined. Apart from just editing, you have to be able show that you comprehend the ethos of the project. I don't mean in some philosophical sense, but in the sense of just understanding the size of the task and being able to work efficiently, effetively and in harmony with the other editors. To this extent they want to let people loose on small sections before allowing them to have the opportunity to make a total hash of major areas.

In terms of choosing new editors, I am not sure how they do it, but I had a fairly easy time of it. I gave them my reasons and they invited me to take the task on. Simple as that.

As for not wanting to take on bigger work, I am looking forward to getting started on a bigger section.

As I said, give it a go and at least make a start on trying to sort things out. You can always resign if it is not to your liking.

(I really sound like an ad for them! )