SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent discussion so far. I've gone so far as to set up an account on LinkedIn, where I discovered that so far, no one I know is there. The glass artist in Santa Fe who beat me to "my" domain name by two days is there, though, which is amusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clnewbill View Post
    Excellent discussion so far. I've gone so far as to set up an account on LinkedIn, where I discovered that so far, no one I know is there. The glass artist in Santa Fe who beat me to "my" domain name by two days is there, though, which is amusing.

I joined LinkedIn in last week, and the only person I know is my partner. Very useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They keep telling me that the glass artist is a colleague from my company, too! Can I help it if we both picked very similar corporate names?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started a Social Networking site for Project managers because im working in this field and it is surprisingly difficult to find good project managers so im in the process of working out a deal with afew consltancy companies to look for workers on my site ask manager
    Last edited by talktechno; Mar 18, 2009 at 14:34. Reason: typo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Businesswise, social networking sites contribute a great help in building quality backlinks. Through your own newtwork of friends, relatives and other colleagues in the business, you could effectively deliver your business with them thereby create traffic to your site and improve search engine rankings as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alivedot View Post
    Businesswise, social networking sites contribute a great help in building quality backlinks. Through your own newtwork of friends, relatives and other colleagues in the business, you could effectively deliver your business with them thereby create traffic to your site and improve search engine rankings as well.
    Most social networks worth their weight nowadays are nofollow. Main reason being, to avoid attracting people who use it only to build their business (ie., people like you and me )

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think one has to join every popular social networking site out there, but I think that you should at least give Twitter & LinkedIn a shot. I have profiles on both & they have helped tremendously in terms of networking with others. I've made some great business contacts.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think maybe the push to use social networks is strictly for search engine results. It has gotten to the point now that when I Google a person's name, their Facebook and Myspace profiles end up on the first page of results. Maybe what the seminar people are pushing is getting clients on those sites so that when someone Google's their business name or particular key words, they have a page set up and showing up on page 1 of results!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baker View Post
    So in what way does a social networking site differ from a site like this? What benefits can I get from a social networking site that I can't get from a forum of like-minded individuals?
    In a way, this website is a social network. The meaning of a social network is to give individuals or groups a place to communicate, expand their relationships (professional / personal) and to grow their social experience. Forums are one of the older but most well established forms of social networking. It offers people a place to freely share and discuss topics at a time which is convenient to them (as opposed to chat rooms) and you can make friends, join mini groups with other members and contribute in many ways to expand the community beyond the single application which exists.

The value of social networks is mainly in the ability to “amass” a large collection of conversations, debates and rich emotional or factual information. It acts almost like a technical support desk where the professionals, the learners and the individuals who just observe can get some reading, learn a few things and make some friends as they go along. And social networks will help your website because if people have friends and connections with a place they have put time and effort into, they are more likely to return (to communicate with them in a medium they are used too) which gains you traffic and opportunities to expand.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    In a way, this website is a social network
    I think that was really my point. I consider forums like this as much a "social network" as facebook, twitter, bebo linkedin or any of the myriad of other sites that are considered "true" Web 2.0 social networks by those who define such terms. The difference here is that discussions tend to be more relevant and focused on the topic of interest to the members of this network, with a lot less of the "white noise" that seems to accompany most of the Web 2.0 social networks.
    Perhaps it's the fact that forums have learned the value of a moderator, and adopted a more focused culture.

Personally, I prefer this environment to that of LinkedIn or Twitter (which I do use), partly because of that focus, and partly because I'm not forever being spammed by requests from people I don't know to to "link to them so that they can break their 1,000 friends target"
    ---
    Development Projects:
    PHPExcel
    PHPPowerPoint

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ... and partly because I'm not forever being spammed by requests from people I don't know to to "link to them so that they can break their 1,000 friends target"
    instead, in a forum, the threads are forever being spammed by people whose only care is the number of backlinks they can amass, regardless of the dross they post

not mentioning any names, of course, but you can see that mentality even in this thread

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    instead, in a forum, the threads are forever being spammed by people whose only care is the number of backlinks they can amass, regardless of the dross they post
    But as I said:
    forums have learned the value of a moderator
    . The likes of LinkedIn et al haven't learned those lesson yet that more traditional forums learned years ago.

Perhaps a more interesting question might be what (if anything) traditional forums such as Sitepoint can learn from the newer social networking sites.
    ---
    Development Projects:
    PHPExcel
    PHPPowerPoint

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a more interesting question might be what (if anything) traditional forums such as Sitepoint can learn from the newer social networking sites.
    sitepoint's "social networking" has at least three flavours --

- General Chat, which fortunately tends to have more genuine social interactivity than self-centered dross posting

- Introductions, which seems to work okay except for the copy/paste artists who post replies such as "Welcome dear, u will sure enjoy here" (makes you wonder how sincere they are in their sociableness)

- Groups, which had great potential but appear to be totally under-utilized
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In SEO, it helps to drive traffics and for users it helps to interact and gather friends all other the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    r937, I know you care about the forum and arenít spamming but I could not help but laugh a little at the fact the person posting that has enough signature promotions to place equal first place with others in the thread in the promotion placements.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    alex. could you rephrase that please? which person are you talking about? and what are "promotion placements"?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was just poking fun at the 4 URLís you have in your signature, nothing more.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just picking my jaw off the floor here guys. I just can't believe that there is so much condemnation of the entire social networking movement online in this post. In just the past "week," I've received an invitation to speak, recruited a speaker for one of my own workshops, sold 4 of my manuals, got 2 client referrals, and we're about to have a coordinated amazon book launch on monday and tuesday to about 500,000 opt-ins....all generated from a combination of twitter, facebook, a little linked in, and squidoo.

If you think social networking is a waste of time and just a way to take up your day and "talk about toast," you just haven't learned from people who know how to do it right. That person would NOT be me by the way, because I am still learning. But, at least I've had the good sense to attend the right workshops and befriend the right people to learn how social networking participation can help my business. Just adding an account on twitter for a month and getting 25 followers or kicking out a facebook profile and sitting back to wait for the orders to ROOOOOOLL in is just crazy.

And, your clients are suffering too if you're telling them they'd be wasting their time by getting involved in social networks online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just wanted to share my piece.. actually, it's a whole lot of fun in social bookmarking considering that you tend to interact with people alike, meaning people with the same interest as you.. well basically if you would want to market those areas, then choose to be a part of a community who speaks of the same genre.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way to look at social networking as an extension of a personal or business brand. Twitter comments on Twitter can say a great deal about your company. Social networking is more than just SEO.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social networking is very important to build strong online business presence. You can also build your mailing list with a powerful social network media, advertise your business, infoproducts, make friends, connect with people on similar niche as you do. Expand your network with social networks as well.
    Earn $1000/month? Visit us:Affiliate Marketing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The value in social networking is as a medium for viral marketing. How you leverage a social network, is you want -other- people who are already in the network and already have friends, sending -their- friends to your website via "look at this" type of links. Then those friends send -their- friends on to your website as well, and so on. You do not necessarily need to even be part of the social network yourself.

The idea that you're going to join the network then start chatting with people, building up a list of friends and then sending your friends to your website all yourself and on your own time is a fallacy. It does not work and as have been said the returns are extremely marginal, if any.

But on leveraging the viral or value-sharing effect of other people sharing your content, because either they care about it or are amazed or entertained by it, you can see HUGE results from social networks. There are actually several very large websites who get most of their traffic from Facebook as opposed to Google. See here for more info on that. (Actually, the forums won't let me post the link. Oh well. Do a search on "social networks more traffic than google marketingvox" on Google and click the first result to see the page I meant)

Not just any website can do something like this though. But dog-saving organizations and garage bands are almost uniquely perfect for viral marketing. You just have to really hone in on a couple things: 1) What is your organization's REAL VALUE to the people who patronize it, and 2) what is the intimate, PERSONAL value that this person can psychologically (or sometimes physically or financially) gain by sharing your value to others? Those two questions are at the heart of viral marketing and at the heart of everything that goes on within a social network.

For example: Say I am a dog lover and owner who cares deeply about saving stray dogs. I find your website. I think, 'This would be swell to share with my friends on FB who also care about dogs.' But I'm not a computer person, I'm just normal - I can't be bothered with URLs and www's and copying and pasting and all that gobbledygook. Oh well.

But wait - I look a little bit lower on your webpage and lo and behold, there's a little "Share on Facebook" button. I click it. All my friends are instantly updated on what I think about my precious dogs and saving them. Yay.

Wait - but that's not all. After I click, your little button offers me to install your "Love for Saving Doggies" application, which does nothing more than put a little box into my Facebook profile, a little box which has a picture the most recent adorable dog to be saved from the street and whom is in need of a home. Wow... I'm not just sharing a website now, I'm actually helping. I'm doing what I wish I could do but don't have time for. I say Yes to the little box.

Now it's not just this one time that I thought of sharing this thing, it's pretty much -all- the time active on my profile, every single day, for every time someone comes to talk to me, they are reminded of the plight of these poor dogs and about the fact that I care about them. Even all my new friends in the future who never got my first link-share in the first place. It's there for good, until I decide I don't love dogs any more.

Now imagine it's not just one person that loves dogs who puts your little app-box on their profile. It's eventually 2. Eventually 5. 10. 50.

If you think something like that doesn't have any value for the business/organization behind your website, do think again.

For more information on any of this, pick up any book by Seth Godin. They are worth their weight in gold for anybody who is thinking of website marketing on a nice small budget.
    Last edited by Aracuan; Mar 22, 2009 at 10:44.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    In just the past "week," I've received an invitation to speak, recruited a speaker for one of my own workshops, sold 4 of my manuals, got 2 client referrals, and we're about to have a coordinated amazon book launch on monday and tuesday to about 500,000 opt-ins....all generated from a combination of twitter, facebook, a little linked in, and squidoo.
    However, you're talking about your own career here, not your client's website. While I have received huge benefits from networking 'manually' for myself, it is not the way I would go about generating interest for somebody else's website if hired to do so.

Nor would I recommend it to a client if they don't already do it; in my view, anybody who has any genuine interest in social networking is already doing it by now. And, like article writing for SEO, you need genuine interest in the activity that it entails for it to really work.

Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    If you think social networking is a waste of time and just a way to take up your day and "talk about toast," you just haven't learned from people who know how to do it right. That person would NOT be me by the way, because I am still learning. But, at least I've had the good sense to attend the right workshops and befriend the right people to learn how social networking participation can help my business. Just adding an account on twitter for a month and getting 25 followers or kicking out a facebook profile and sitting back to wait for the orders to ROOOOOOLL in is just crazy.

And, your clients are suffering too if you're telling them they'd be wasting their time by getting involved in social networks online.
    This I totally agree with.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good article on social networking website.
    How to Get traffic from Social Networking Website?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good and it will bring you traffic...