User Tag List

Thread: Laptop advice

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop advice

I'm going to buy a laptop, i've not owned one before so i'm looking for any tips, advice or recommendations anyone might have.

What i want:
    Something with a good screen that can be seen well from different angles and has good colour reproduction. (ie I want to be able to take it to clients and show them example websites)
    Internet connectivity, an ethernet socket (do most come with wifi built in now?)
    Reliable
    I want to install Apache,PHP & MySQL so i can do some work on it, occasionall but not as my main development environment.
    Being ultra light isn't massively important as it's not something i'll be carting around all the time, just occasionally.

I'm thinking about a MacBook Pro as Mac's used to have a really good reputation i don't know if they still do? And am i right in thinking the Mac OS is based on Linux so you could install stuff like Gimp?

Cheers
    Afuera

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the screen it is important that it is no glare. Mac has nothing to do with linux. I woulld advice you to get a Win XP so you could install something like Xampp

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP there is probably a lot better help at Notebook Reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by stiuvou View Post
    For the screen it is important that it is no glare.
    For good color, a glossy screen offers much more vibrant colors then a matte screen. As per the OP's request.

Mac has nothing to do with linux.
    No Mac OS X has nothing to do with Linux directly. However Mac OS X is Unix and Linux itself is based around and compatible with Unix in many ways. So yes a lot of applications for Linux will work on Mac OS X.

I woulld advice you to get a Win XP so you could install something like Xampp
    Why would you advise Windows XP over Mac OS X, over Windows Vista (Soon to be 7), over Linux? Windows XP is a dead horse from 10 years ago, pointless for new computers. XAMPP works are multiple platforms not just Windows XP.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my configuration:
    2gigs of ram
    core2duo > 2ghz processor
    250gb hard drive
    256 or 512mb ati with hd output
    wifi n and ethernet

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sony Vaio Z is a great laptop, excellent screen and colour reproduction without being glossy (I find glossy screens poor for presentations as you never know if the people looking at it can see the screen properly or just reflections in it). Very powerful and light, around 1.5kg. I use it as my main machine, with a dock to link into a 24" LCD. They come with Vista and an XP 'downgrade' CD.

If you don't need the dedicated NVidia graphics of the Z, there's also the SR, which is not quite as light but is a little bit cheaper. I don't know what the screen is like on that though.

Hope this helps,

S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many good laptops available in the market. go for minimum core 2 duo processor, if you want to play games or graphic intensive applications. by a laptop with good GPU like (nvidia / ATI) with dedicated ram. my favorite laptop brands are DELL and HP.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much deliberation I've ordered a mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afuera View Post
    Godamnit, you shoulda went for a laptop with windows lol. O well, hope it's everything you need. But I still think you can install windows on mac, I saw the video on youtube, you can check it out if your interested.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afuera View Post
    To me,
    Mac is the best one.
    I never trust PC anymore.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned quite a few over the years however after getting my fist MB Pro in November I don't think I'll ever go back to a PC.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold1 View Post
    To me,
    Mac is the best one.
    I never trust PC anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggsfly View Post
    I've owned quite a few over the years however after getting my fist MB Pro in November I don't think I'll ever go back to a PC.
    Do know you have a PC right? PC hardware is what those Apple computers are using.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they use a different OS.

S

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they do.

At a $500 premium over the same hardware without the Apple logo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    At a $500 premium over the same hardware without the Apple logo.
    Find me a computer with all the same specs/features as the base MBP that retails for $1500 please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Find me a computer with all the same specs/features as the base MBP that retails for $1500 please.
    Lenovo Ideapads? - http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...94650A23798A6D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    Those compete with the base macbook which begins at $999. So we're looking at a whopping $100-200 difference in price if you spec them as similarly as possible, and that's maybe a half day's worth of work to pay the difference on for the ability to legally run any OS I want. I think 3-4 hours of work over the 2-3 years I'm going to use a laptop is more than an acceptable tradeoff for that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually quite like Macbooks, I was just noting someone offering similar functions for slightly less. The Macbok Pros compare more favourably in my eyes to the standard Macbooks price-wise when compared to their Windows counterpart. For me (if you are paying $1500+) for a laptop, with the specs very similar it is pretty much down to which OS you prefer.

As for standard Macbooks, if you find the OS more intuitive to use (and many do) then it may well be worth the extra cost to you, but not everyone is in that boat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, while stylistically I can't fault the Macbooks, having a non-replaceable battery is really not good at all. The batteries available are just not good enough (both those in any Windows laptop just as much as Apple's). I found that a very odd decision for the new macbooks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    Also, while stylistically I can't fault the Macbooks, having a non-replaceable battery is really not good at all. The batteries available are just not good enough (both those in any Windows laptop just as much as Apple's). I found that a very odd decision for the new macbooks
    The macbook air and the 17" MBP are the only ones with nonremovable batteries. The 13" macbook and 15" MBP still have removable batteries.

However, I have a 13" macbook and a spare battery now. I swap batteries maybe 4 or 5 times a year because I seriously never think of it and the need for a always-fully-charged spare battery is just not there. I'm not saying that everyone can get by with a non-removable battery but it probably doesn't matter to a whole lot of people as long as battery life is up to snuff in the first place.