SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do these abbr. stand for and for what purposes are they commonly used?

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann
    http://www.icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K as a nebie giving this one a shot. Feel free to correct me.

ASP = Actual Server Pages. This means that scripts are sotred on the server and pages are generated on the fly determined my user interaction. I.E A person may click a page and the server is instructed to run the script which generates the appropiate page. VB script and JAVA are some languages used as scripting languages for this type of environment..

Generally used for large websites that are reguarly updated as it is easier to manage.

PHP : Don't know what it stands for buy it is a programming language. I think it uses C and Perl but is an independant language. Used for many things like the whole of site point for a start. Also applications like bulletin boards and also database driven websites like the above...

MySql is actually a databse program.. Microsoft sql database is used for database driven sites often

hope this helps..

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is not a true programming language, its just like ASP.

Basically you have ASP, PHP, and Cold Fusion and they do the same things. You put the code in your webpage itself, when the server serves the page it knows by the page extension (.asp .php3 .cfm) that it needs to interpret said pages, it does so and then serves the dynamically generated pages.

These languages are most useful when interacting with a database online.

To interact with that database they use a language called SQL which stands for Structured Query Language. It is basically a way for the other code to talk to the database.

MySQL is the actual database program. Think of it as Microsoft Access for Unix (although there is an NT version).

Also ASP and Cold Fusion generally are used on NT platforms, usually with an Access or Oracle backend. And PHP and MySQL are used on Unix platforms.

Chris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my post in this thread for a very thorough list of definitions for some Web programming terms (including those you have asked about).

PHP stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor". Don't bother asking what PHP stands for in that -- the recursive definition is the result of a programmer's twisted sense of humour.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by kyank:
    PHP stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor". Don't bother asking what PHP stands for in that -- the recursive definition is the result of a programmer's twisted sense of humour.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like GNU

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..........and there's me thinking it was "Personal Home Page"

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always, I'm hearing of tables in mySQL. I thought it's some kind of language so why is there a need for tables? Does this table affect the actual HTML layout?

Maybe you can explain me how mySQL is working.

Thanks

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is "Personal Home Page"...if I'm not mistaken that was the (odd) name that it was originally given. I always call it "Hypertext Proprocessing".

ASP is "Active Server Pages", rater than "Actual Server Pages" by the way.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Always, I'm hearing of tables in mySQL. I thought it's some kind of language so why is there a need for tables? Does this table affect the actual HTML layout?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MySQL is a database program. If you are unfamiliar with what a database is that is something you really really should learn. I don't know where your from but here in the US you cannot graduate highschool now without taking a class that teaches word processing, database and spreadsheet use.

If you have Microsoft Office on your computer open up Microsoft Access. That is a database. As you can see the fundamental item in a database is a table, its where you enter the data.

Chris

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. So it's something like FileMaker? I don't know Access because I working on a Mac and I don't think that it's offered on this platform. And why the need for tables? Just to make sure I've understood properly

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DIMA,

Everything you've asked and more is covered in my article Building a Database-Driven Web Site using PHP and MySQL. Read the first two parts to answer your questions, and keep reading if you decide it's something you want to learn! :-)

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!