SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DateTime, Timestamps and SQL

Ok, I have an issue where a table column needs to be either a datetime (preferred since it's a real sql server datatype) or a timestamp. The thing is, it might not actual have a value set. When I set the column to allow nulls, and there IS a null in a record, .NET complains that it can't convert null to int32 (this is in the autogenerated linq class code). The table definition changed after it was originaly imported, so do I need to regenerate the linq classes, or what? What's the best way to handle datetimes / timestamps here. Use datetime allowing nulls? Or int with default of 0 (timestamp)?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done LINQ in a long time, but I'm pretty sure if the column is marked as nullable, the code handles that correctly. You probably need to regenerate the classes.

A timestamp of 0 is a specific date (January 1, 1970), I wouldn't try to treat that as null.

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping the classes and regenerating did the trick. Thanks.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timestamp in SQL server is not a unix timestamp, but rather a special type of binary column pretty generally useless outside of SQL server.

I'd run with DateTime as it is what you want, and as you've found nullable types can solve lots of DBNull issues . . .