SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft and HTML5

Microsoft claims IE8 will have strong support for HTML5.

On August 31, 2007, lead IE developer, Chris Wilson, posted this:
    A while ago, I signed up to review the HTML5 spec by the end of August; unfortunately, that will not be complete today. I now expect to send comments by the end of next week (9/7).

-Chris
    To date, Microsoft has not made any such review.

Microsoft is co-chair of the HTML5 working group.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to see early support for HTML5 but I think it’s too early to get excited, the spec has not gone final and of course we still need to support old browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point is, ALL other browser vendors are actively contributing and reviewing the HTML5 specs.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you heavily involved with HTML 5, drhowarddrfine? Actively contributing and reviewing the HTML 5 specs?
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would Microsoft want to waste time reviewing HTML5 now when there are many more years in which they can do so before it becomes final while they have so many issues with finishing off implementing those specs that became final years ago?

Which would you prefer they do - finish implementing CSS 2.1 which is final or start playing about with HTML 5 which is still an early draft?

Sounds to me like they have their priorities right between those at the moment.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Why would Microsoft want to waste time reviewing HTML5 now when there are many more years in which they can do so before it becomes final
    Because they chair the group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    So are you heavily involved with HTML 5, drhowarddrfine? Actively contributing and reviewing the HTML 5 specs?
    Under my real name, I do contribute and am attempting to convert my restaurant sites to HTML5.

How about you?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Because they chair the group.
    Just because they chair the group that is deciding what the HTML standards will be in 2025 doesn't mean that they have to be in any sort of rush to review the extremely early very preliminary first drafts currently being considered, tried out and then rejected. They can always wait a few years until all the current garbage suggestions are cleared out of the way before providing input into those that turn out to be actually worthwhile enough to be really worth consideration.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Just because they chair the group that is deciding what the HTML standards will be in 2025
    You are one of those who misunderstood what Ian Hickson said about HTML5. Making that statement is the same as saying CSS3 won't be ready for use until 2025 so don't bother.
    doesn't mean that they have to be in any sort of rush to review the extremely early very preliminary first drafts currently being considered, tried out and then rejected.
    Someone has to review the published draft. Everyone else did. Only Microsoft is dragging behind, as always.
    They can always wait a few years until all the current garbage suggestions are cleared out of the way before providing input into those that turn out to be actually worthwhile enough to be really worth consideration.
    Yes. The best thing to do is do nothing. After all, it's been a year and a half of inaction on their part. As I said, someone wrote up the paper to be reviewed. Everyone reviewed it. Except Microsoft. If Microsoft wants to be in charge of the spec, they need work on the preliminaries. Everyone else is getting their work done.