SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

client has different screen settings than designer

Hi - I have run into this a few times. How do you guys handle it when you are designing a site for a client and they have their screen set to be either very dark or very light. So when they look at your ideas for their site on their screen the color is way off. One site I am doing now has this problem - the client has an LCD screen that is set so bright & light I have to squint to even look at ther screen!!! So on their screen my site ideas look too washed out. But I have 3 computers at home set at different settings (more average) settings and the site looks good.

Question is - do I follow the old "the client is always right" line and change the colour so it works on their screen (but will look very dark on the majority of other screens)? I have tried explaining the idea of screen settings to the client but they don't really get it. They think there's something wrong with the design of the site if THEY have to adjust THEIR screen to view it properly.

Is there a site somewhere with some sort of standard colour bar test. Something I could send the client to and say "this box is black - but on your screen it's a light grey". Ie a standard I could use to adjust their monitor to?

Thanks for any input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could create something like that in Photoshop. Simply create a bar that's about 5 inches wide. Segment it into 5 or 6 chunks. On one side, make the chunk solid black, then work your way to the other side making each segment progressively lighter in color (greys) until you get to white. Save it then upload it and send the link to your client along with the printout (or meet with them).

Inform them that this printout is what the majority of the visitors will see, then show them the link. Let them work it out for themselves.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the idea - something like this should work...
    colourtest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it should...however, the color part probably won't help much. Because this is a brightness issue, the b/w section will be the most important.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes