SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fav computer speakers?

So M-AUDIO finally put out a solid Vista 64 SP1 driver for a piece of hardware I love and I am psyched to use again for some audio work.

To round things out, I would like to get some solid speakers/reference monitors and was looking at the Logitech Z-2300's - I like them because they are powerful, well reviewed and don't have more than 3 speakers involved (I have space constraints).

Anyone have these, or a fairly compact setup that they like or would recommend that is under $150?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pair of Alesis M1 Active 520s. What kind of work are you doing?

I had something in Logitech's Z series and the sound is pretty decent for playback, movies, not really reference. Wouldn't call it portable. Pain in the neck to move and make sure all the wires don't get tangled up in each other.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for under $150 ($120 actually)
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMed...7058674&sr=1-1

But I wouldn't trade my Bose Companion 3 Series II multimedia speaker system even though others have said they did.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...on_3/index.jsp

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion...730090-4962645

Read the reviews at Amazon, the Klipschs are looking pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanishdesign View Post
    I use a pair of Alesis M1 Active 520s. What kind of work are you doing?

I had something in Logitech's Z series and the sound is pretty decent for playback, movies, not really reference. Wouldn't call it portable. Pain in the neck to move and make sure all the wires don't get tangled up in each other.
    True "reference monitors" seem to be a little out of my price range, which is why, in light of how much DSP/equalization is standard for near any audio device these days, I thought I might be able to get away with some Logitechs that probably have similar sound reproduction qualities to iPods and mini stereos.

The Alesis you use seem reasonably priced though.

I have a bunch of shelved music projects (personal, not commercial/professional) I would like to revive - that is why I am looking.

Thanks for your input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logitech X-530, 5.1 surround, comes with 5 speakers (although you can use 2 for front speakers, with the drivers)

I only use 3 of the speakers. I bought them for $90AUS a couple of months ago, great playback and and great bass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite speakers are Creative Gigaworks 750 but they are 8 speakers with huge voice. So Logitech Z-2300 is a good solution for 2.1 configuration.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Favorite Speaker is Intex Subwoofer 2000w ...

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a set of Creative GigaWorks G500 (5.1) for a few years and I like them very much. Nice big subwoofer and all 5 speakers sound good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys..these all sound solid.

I was leaning towards a 2.1 setup for the sake of simplicity and quality (I'd generally/historically rather have two very good speakers then any number of mediocre speakers - irrespective of the sub/s).

For those that have the 5.1 setups (or greater), do you really feel the experience is that much better/more immersive? Being more an old school audiophile, anything much beyond stereo seems sort of like overkill, but I do enjoy seeing a movie in a theater with very surrounding sound. Hmmm...

My main focus was to use them for music reproduction, however.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an L-shaped desk, and the rear speakers are actually more next to me than behind me.

Most applications only have stereo audio, so mostly only the front speakers have anything coming out of them, and that's fine.

The movie experience is nice with real 5.1 speakers, but really I only use them to boost volume when I want to fill the place with music by turning on upmix (that uses all 5 speakers to play a stereo source).

I could just as easily unplug the rear two speakers and only use the front 3 most of the time. I picked this set because I thought the speakers sounded nice at the store I tried them at. They were next to one of Logitech's 5.1 sets and I thought the Creative ones sounded better, and were more powerful.

Old picture, but the speaker positioning is the same:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Interesting.

Appreciate the clarification on how the greater number of speakers work in real world use .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact 5.1 and 7.1 speakers works great when your are playing 3D games. Thats why I am using more than 3 speakers, Watching movies is also great on them.

SitePoint Member customtollfree's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Altec Lansing any good? I'm planning to buy a new speaker with surround sound next week.
    The right toll free number is your key to success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Altec Lansing seem not as well constucted as the best speakers, but I am sure they could be adequate.

--

I decided on M-AUDIO Studiophile AV 40's and have been thrilled (Creative Gigaworks T40's were a close second in the running after much research). The AV 40's have a very full sound and are quite powerful. Best sounding speakers I have had in years, computer or otherwise.

I did have to move my Dect 6.0 phone away from them though as it was interfering and causing a cycling hum (it is four feet away and that is more than adequate). It was driving me bonkers because they sounded so good otherwise, I thought it might be the outlet and isolated out that it wasn't and then only the phone was left - moved it and was set at ease and ready to take in the concert !

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a high end laptop and these round things off pretty well.
    Unbelievable sound.

BoseŽ 40274 2.0 Companion 2 Series II multimedia speaker system
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836166006

Other Bose series models:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&name=Speakers

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i much prefer the speakers of Logitech...the sounds coming from the speakers are really clear and load....even their headphones sounds really great...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by customtollfree View Post
    Is Altec Lansing any good? I'm planning to buy a new speaker with surround sound next week.
    Altec Lansing has to much hollow sound in my opinion. Their subs are really good though.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Logitech Z-2300's. Good deal for the price. Good base response, good highs. There were complaints about lacking mids but use an EQ and didn't notice. I'm not an audio freak though. I was happy with the price/product. The wired volume control is pretty nice also, feels a little light but it works.