SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guidelines Clarification

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been searching around a little; thanks for all the great info.

I have a question that relates to the guidelines for where sites for sale are listed in the Marketplace. I see in the guidelines the following rule:

However, if your site meets any of the following criteria, then it should be considered a Startup Web Site and should be listed in the Startup Web Sites For Sale category:

* The site is less than 30 days old, even if it's generating revenue
    * The site generates no significant revenue not even enough to cover hosting cost.
    * The site is in an unfinished state such that it is of no use to visitors yet.
    * The site is based on a commonly available script or piece of software and does not contain any unique content.

The colored points I've highlighted are what's confusing me. I interpret it as a site with income of zero to say $5 a month must be listed in the Start Up category. I have no problem with that. What I don't understand is how there are many sites listed in the Established Sites with zero income? It states above that if your site meets any of the criteria that it's Start Up; how does it come to be then that there are quite a number of sites listed in the Established section with zero income. I feel I might be misunderstanding the rules...I hope you can clarify this one for me.
    Many thanks.
    Michelle.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I don't understand is how there are many sites listed in the Established Sites with zero income?
    Please report them. Sitepoint doesn't vet every listing before it goes live (and doesn't necessarily vet them against the rules even after they've gone live).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok, so my interpretation seems to be correct then. Well there are many sites there that shouldn't be in that case; it would take someone quite some time to report them all. Perhaps the Monthly income field should be set to a minimum of $5 or something like that when the listing is being created? I'd say there isn't foul play in most cases it's probably just newer members not really knowing all the rules. Thanks for replying 3Six.
    Michelle.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the Monthly income field should be set to a minimum of $5 or something like that
    What is income? Spend $50 in ads or hours and hours commenting in blogs, social networks etc and anybody can squeeze a $5 cheque out of the site. Or ask a friend to Paypal them $5 for a link. Would Sitepoint make it mandatory they disclose net earnings? How would that be policed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    What is income? Spend $50 in ads or hours and hours commenting in blogs, social networks etc and anybody can squeeze a $5 cheque out of the site. Or ask a friend to Paypal them $5 for a link. Would Sitepoint make it mandatory they disclose net earnings? How would that be policed?
    Not sure, guess it was a silly suggestion.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't mean to knock you down but... if someone wants to be dishonest there are just so many ways

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to knock you down but... if someone wants to be dishonest there are just so many ways
    exactly. Also, there are websites that are established and get traffic that don't have advertising on them or haven't been monetised yet.
    eCommerce Economy - learn how to create and grow successful ecommerce businesses and join the ecommerce economy