User Tag List

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live video streaming

Hey guys

I have a client that is getting a major internet line so that he can stream video live onto the internet for a concert.

So I would like to know the best practice methods for doing something like this. He would want it live and not pictures every few seconds.

But that will obviously eat the users bandwidth quite quickly. How do the likes of ustream.tv do it? Is there someway i can setup the server to compress the stream and output it live to a flash player that supports live streaming?

I have done some googling, but i thought id ask some expert opinions as well.

Please let me know your thoughts on this or links i can read, etc

Thanks for any feedback

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've managed a number of live webstreaming events. The basic template is you upload from the site to a multicast or broadcast service of some sort (exactly who depends on what underlying tech you need). Then you send users at the service. You don't push users directly to the live stream--you generally can't afford the bandwidth nor the redundancy to pull it off in that manner. Hope this helps and feel free to ask a more specific questions.

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I am very new to this sort of thing, so I have no idea about a few terms u, used. But I will do some googling and ask more questions here if I have any.

Thanks for the help