SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't Manage SQL 2008 Databases

I've downloaded the SQL 2008 Express Edition with Tools 3 times, and reinstalled it several times.

I cannot find a manager for it. The download description says that it comes with a graphical manager but its not being installed by default for some reason. It's not on my start menu and its not in my control panel so if it was installed I have no idea how to use it.

I tried doing a custom installation and selecting tools. It gives me a couple tools as an optional install but the manager is not one of them.

I tried using SSMSE 2005 and I get an error message saying that it does not support SQL 2008 databases.

I have no idea how to write my 2008 database then. There is no way I can use a DOS prompt for this entire database.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just downloaded the 2008 Management Studio by itself, and it doesnt install either. When I run it, I just get taken to the SQL Server 2008 screen. The same screen I get when I install SQL Server 2008. It still doesn't give me an option of installing the 2008 Management Studio.

I guess something is wrong with it. I found the seperate download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en but even that wont install the management studio. It just takes me to an install screen with options to install but none of them are the management studio.
    Last edited by CodyCoder; Mar 11, 2009 at 22:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have SQL Server 2005 Management Studio installed? You may need to uninstall the 2005 version first.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No unless it comes on the Vista disc. I just did a complete format. I don't know what all crap comes with Vista, too much.

I don't think that there is a working management studio for SQL 2008. After searching google I have found an unbelievable number of threads about people having the same problem. There is no way to install the management stuido. It does not install from the installer.

I guess I'm stuck using a DOS command prompt to write my entire database. Microsoft FTW.