SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Link didn't open in new window ? Well then you're asking for it.

I'm about 12/24 houres online so I visit a lot of websites and there's one thing that I noticed recently.
    There are a lot of webdesigners who link to other sites and don't open a new window for it.
    Actually the last 3 houres i've browsed about 30 sites and at least 5 sites made the big mistake of laoding the page in there own window.

This is actually a bit of a rant , if I click a link wich I expect to open in a new window and it doesn't I get really irritated ( I can't help it ).
    I know you can open every link in a new window by holding down the shift-button but how many not-webdev-people know this ? 0.1% maybe , i don't know , what I do know, is that it won't be a lot of people.

So if you link me to another site and force me to leave your site while i'm not finished browsing it. I won't come back !!

It could be just me but i doubt it !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate that too, so I just hold down shift whenever I want to open a new window, even if they have set the target as _blank

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in affect what you are saying you prefer to have external links open in a new window, well fair enough.

Albeit what it the user-agent has either JavaScript disabled, or blocked via a program or the webmasters is using something similar to XHTML 1.1 (where both frames and target is non-existent) well it then becomes an impossible feat via code.

Also not all web sites are viewed by visual scrolling media, e.g. some mobile devices itís a good job I am not a web-designer, or a professional webmaster. Then again, I might of misread what new window means.

};-) http://www.xhtmlcoder.com/
    Last edited by xhtmlcoder; May 17, 2002 at 02:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the way I see it...

If you set a 'target="_blank"' on each link then the user is forced into you spawning new windows, often with little or no choice in the matter. If however you don't specify any target for the link, the user is free to choose to open it in the same window, a new window or (if using mozilla) a new tab.

cheers

alastair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely the opposite - it really bugs me when sites open links in new windows without at least warning me first. I use Mozilla, which has the incredibly handy ability to open links in a new "tab" of the current window. Back in the days when I used IE I would frequently have 15 to 20 windows open (out of choice) - this cluttered up my taskbar something chronic and led to slow performance as well. Mozilla tabs are much nicer - all my browsing is kept in the one window and my taskbar stays nice and tidy.

If I want to open a link in a new window I can use a mouse gesture or click on it with my middle mouse button. Lovely.

This all goes to pieces when some hotshot web designer decides to go opening their links in new windows. Mozilla spawns a new window (as opposed to a new tab) which not only takes longer than spawning a new tab (because creating an entirely new window requires more system resources) but also leaves me with two Mozilla instances in my task bar.

I know some people like links opening in new windows (mainly because they are using an inferior browser ) so I reckon the best solution is to provide a n option somewhere letting the user chose between opening in a new window or opening in a new tab (I think www.voodooextreme.com has this). Unfortunately this only really works for sites with lots of external links, for example blogs and news sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe i explained it a bit wrong but what i actually ment was that i hate it when people link to -- other --sites without a new window.

I don't like it when a site opens all it's -- own --pages in new windows.

It's eems obvious for me but your own preference has a lot to do with it i guess.

To give a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your logic but I still prefer even external links to open in the same window, for the reasons I outlined above. I definitely agree that sites opening their OWN pages in a new window are annoying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post explaining

damn wasn"t finisehd yet ...

An example is Alistapart.com,there are allways several links to other articles across the article wich do not open in a new window.

So when you're reading an article and decide to jump to a linked article to see what's to see there,I allways forget to press the backbutton and i accidently close the window.
    Why , because in my point of view itis obvious and more userfriendly opening thet linked article in a new window.I could be just me but that's how i see it.
    Alistapart is a great site that's a very big help for webdesigners but otherwise i wouldn't return there.
    So the site must meet allready a high standard or i won't return and i think wedbdesigners should keep this in mind because you could drive visitors away.

Also this accidently closing the window ... it happens regularely ( and certainly with normal surfers IE not freaks ) that they get linked to a page but don't pay attention to the url.
    So ifthe link doesn't open in a new window you have the chance that people "forget" your url after they close the site you linked to.

You see what i mean , i did my best explaining it but english is not my native language so ...

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these rules should be universal:

If you're linking to a site other than your own, open the link in a new window. If you're linking to another page on your own site, keep the user in the same browsing window.