SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    10 Most Expensive Domain Names

    1. Fund.com, $9.99 million
    2. Porn.com, $9.5 million
    3. Diamonds.com, $7.5 million
    4. Toys.com, $5.1 million
    5. Vodka.com, $3 million
    6. CreditCards.com $2.75 million
    7. Computers.com, $2.1 million
    8. Seniors.com, $1.8 million
    9. DataRecovery.com, $1.66 million
    10. Cameras.com, $1.5 million

    According to: Source - ABCNews
    Last edited by flipmytext; Mar 9, 2009 at 14:03.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that there have been many other private sales that have gone way higher than these numbers....does anyone know how high casino.com and poker.com went for?

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember last year Pizza.com raked in $2.6 million - Amazing.

    Last I read somewhere, Casino.com sold for 5.5 million few years ago...Let me know if you find info about the poker one.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot MajorTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toys R Us is the one who bought Toys.com for $5.1 million. The keyword "toys" has an estimated 40 million searches per month. That's only half a billion searches per year. The domain is a steal at that price.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard ~ServerPoint~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I was expecting sex domain name in here.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly Business.com went for 2 million and that was the top sale, but that was ages ago.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sexdotcom was sold in 14 million couple of years ago i think.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast reviewman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sitepoint is evaluated at $480,000, do you know that. But I think it is worth more than that.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Addict CWebguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Business.com is the most expensive right now, it was in the hundreds of millions and may have even got a bid over a billion (I think like 1.2 or 1.4).

    Cheers,

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict CWebguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reviewman View Post
    sitepoint is evaluated at $480,000, do you know that. But I think it is worth more than that.
    Not really. If it is selling the website along with it then yes, but not just the domain name. I mean, what is a sitepoint anyway? Think about it.

    Cheers,

  11. #11
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reviewman View Post
    sitepoint is evaluated at $480,000, do you know that. But I think it is worth more than that.
    And what appraisal service supplied this figure? Evaluations are based on many different factors. Having a valuable website behind the name pumps up the value big time. Even more, when the site is an actual business.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Wizard frank1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting observation,in google

    1. Fund.com, $9.99 million
    it is not in top 1o

    2. Porn.com, $9.5 million
    not number 1

    3. Diamonds.com, $7.5 million
    not number 1

    4. Toys.com, $5.1 million
    not in 1st page

    5. Vodka.com, $3 million
    not in 1st page, ivodka.com seems to be there

    6. CreditCards.com $2.75 million
    in no 1(only this is in no 1)


    7. Computers.com, $2.1 million
    no sign of it any where for "computers"

    8. Seniors.com, $1.8 million
    senior.com is there....no sign of it


    9. DataRecovery.com, $1.66 million
    datarecovery.net is there...no sign of it


    10. Cameras.com, $1.5 million
    no site...means no real site




    where are sex.com ,cars.com
    i heard these were big as well

  13. #13
    SitePoint Wizard SiberForum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that any domain name worth the price which potential buyer ready to pay for you as for the seller.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Addict CWebguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    interesting observation,in google

    1. Fund.com, $9.99 million
    it is not in top 1o

    2. Porn.com, $9.5 million
    not number 1

    3. Diamonds.com, $7.5 million
    not number 1

    4. Toys.com, $5.1 million
    not in 1st page

    5. Vodka.com, $3 million
    not in 1st page, ivodka.com seems to be there

    6. CreditCards.com $2.75 million
    in no 1(only this is in no 1)


    7. Computers.com, $2.1 million
    no sign of it any where for "computers"

    8. Seniors.com, $1.8 million
    senior.com is there....no sign of it


    9. DataRecovery.com, $1.66 million
    datarecovery.net is there...no sign of it


    10. Cameras.com, $1.5 million
    no site...means no real site




    where are sex.com ,cars.com
    i heard these were big as well

    That's cause most of the people just buy these domains and sit on them. There are only a handful of useful one word ones I can even think of.

    Buy.com, Domain.com, I'm sure there are more, but that is about all I can think of

  15. #15
    SitePoint Zealot Icoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    Toys R Us is the one who bought Toys.com for $5.1 million. The keyword "toys" has an estimated 40 million searches per month. That's only half a billion searches per year. The domain is a steal at that price.
    Toys r us are already number 1 for "toys". How is it benefiting them? To stop competitors having the domain?

  16. #16
    SitePoint Zealot Icoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    interesting observation,in google

    1. Fund.com, $9.99 million
    it is not in top 1o
    2. Porn.com, $9.5 million
    not number 1
    3. Diamonds.com, $7.5 million
    not number 1
    4. Toys.com, $5.1 million
    not in 1st page
    5. Vodka.com, $3 million
    not in 1st page, ivodka.com seems to be there
    6. CreditCards.com $2.75 million
    in no 1(only this is in no 1)
    7. Computers.com, $2.1 million
    no sign of it any where for "computers"
    8. Seniors.com, $1.8 million
    senior.com is there....no sign of it
    9. DataRecovery.com, $1.66 million
    datarecovery.net is there...no sign of it
    10. Cameras.com, $1.5 million
    no site...means no real site
    WOW! That is very interesting!! I would be rather annoyed if I paid millions of dollars for a domain that originally cost $10 and it wasnt even on page 1 of google!

    Do these companies buy the name just for the sake of it?!?? The ROI isnt working out in my head!! Anyone else?

  17. #17
    SitePoint Addict CWebguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icoste View Post
    WOW! That is very interesting!! I would be rather annoyed if I paid millions of dollars for a domain that originally cost $10 and it wasnt even on page 1 of google!

    Do these companies buy the name just for the sake of it?!?? The ROI isnt working out in my head!! Anyone else?
    That's cause they are just trying to sell the domains. Most of their income comes from this and parking.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just crazy! Just shows that if you can register the magical domain and hold on to it for it to become crazy popular, you could make some money.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Zealot Icoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWebguy View Post
    That's cause they are just trying to sell the domains. Most of their income comes from this and parking.
    I dont really understand what you mean by this? I meant, I would be annoyed if i had a business selling diamonds and bought the domain diamonds.com for $9.9million to find out that it still isnt number 1 on Google.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Zealot Icoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dks404 View Post
    That is just crazy! Just shows that if you can register the magical domain and hold on to it for it to become crazy popular, you could make some money.
    Yeah you could register magical domains 10-15 years ago, but now you cant even find an obscure domain such as blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.com

    And im not joking, that is actually taken according to 123-reg.com!!!!!


    I wonder how much that is worth?!

  21. #21
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing, how much a domain can cost.
    Register in Universal Health Forum // Hirsutism
    Submit in PR3 directory (globeinfosystem.com)

  22. #22
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If most of us knew then what we know now we could all have purchased domains worth millions when .coms were coming out.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •